ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Deleting Infected Files
FrankieBoy

How do I delete the files in the Quarantine Folder?
GuitarBob

The simplest way to delete a file from quarantine is to just go to the ClamWin quarantine folder (C:\ProgramData\.clamwin\quarantine), find the file, right click on it, and select delete. The Qrecover program in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ClamWin\bin folder is only good for restoring files from quarantine that are falsely detected (false positive). If you are using Clam Sentinel along with ClamWin , you can select the Sentinel Recover program from the Clam Sentinel system tray icon menu (select Quarantine, Sentinel Recover, tick the file, and select the red X to delete).

Thanks for using ClamWin!
Infected files in WinXP
yagottabob

Where do I find and clean infected files with WinXP? Do I need to use the command prompt?
GuitarBob

ClamWin comes with a default Infected File option of Report Only. There are two more options: Remove and Quarantine. You can select to quarantine infected files in the Tools, Preferences, General tab. Select Quarantine and OK it. Don't ever select Remove--in case a file is falsely-detected (a false positive), because you could lose an important file--maybe even your system if it is a falsely detected system file.

You can restore files from quarantine (if they are falsely detected) by going to the ClamWin program file folder in the bin subfolder and clicking on the QRecover.exe program. Some users have trouble doing it this way, so let us know if this ever happens to you.

Regards,
danccu

Is there any option to set the automatical remove of the infected files?
GuitarBob

Yes, you can access the infected file options via the ClamWin Configure, General menu from the ClamWin system tray icon or via the Tools, Preferences, General menu from the ClamWin icon on your desktop. There are three infected file options: Report, Remove, or Quarantine. Remove is not recommended, to prevent reomval of a falsely-detected (false positive) file. Quarantine is probably best for most non-expert users. Items will stay in quarantine unless manualley deleted, and they are harmless there with a "infected" file extension.

Regards,
sikllindil

Hello,

I Just finished a 3 days scan on my computer when in the report i see: Infected file 1.
The problem is that by default Clamwin doesn't delete or put the file in quarantine and doesn't give me neither the name of the file in the final report.

It would be good to activate the quarantine by default.

How to find the infected file in the report without re-scanning my whole computer?

THank you in advance Smile
GuitarBob

Did you read the previous posts above? They tell you how to change the infected file option from the default Report to Quarantine or Remove (never choose remove). I suggest you change the option and do another scan. If you do not want to do that, you can probably locate the infected file somewhere in the previous scan report.

By the way, three days is too long for a scan.

Also, for best protection, use ClamWin as a backup AV scanner to a real-time AV scanner.

Regards,
sikllindil

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I read previous post, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to write my last post (as I am talking about option setting).

Is there a keyword in the scan report which could help me to locate the line talking about the virus?

Thank you
GuitarBob

The ClamWin scan report will report a FOUND at the end of the line scanned when it detects something and the infected file option is set to Report Only. That will be preceded by the folder and filename.

When the report option is set to Quarantine, the scan report will report INFECTED at the end of the line scanned.

Regards,
Joannme20

I want to make a copy of my file then delete it afterwards but when I looked at my files I can't find it. Maybe it's hidden, how can I search a file that has been corrupted by the virus?
Quote:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote

The simplest way to delete a file from quarantine is to just go to the ClamWin quarantine folder (C:\ProgramData\.clamwin\quarantine), find the file, right click on it, and select delete. The Qrecover program in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ClamWin\bin folder is only good for restoring files from quarantine that are falsely detected (false positive). If you are using Clam Sentinel along with ClamWin , you can select the Sentinel Recover program from the Clam Sentinel system tray icon menu (select Quarantine, Sentinel Recover, tick the file, and select the red X to delete).

Deleting Infected Files