ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Quarantine
bugme

Is the clam win quarantine safe?????? I had two Trojans detected a few days ago and they were moved to the quarantine. I went to the quarantine folder and the only difference to the files was that the files had infected.(original file name here) as their new name and they had been moved. I also use AVG and when it quarantines files it encrypts them so if anything trys to to open them it will not let it. I'm just wondering if the Clam Win AV quarantee encrypts the file and make sure it does no damage.

Thanks.
If it helps I'm using the portableapps.com version.
GuitarBob

There is not much chance of anything/anyone opening a quarantine file except for the person operating the computer. At present, ClamWin does not encrypt or otherwise "mangle" files placed in quarantine, besides renaming them with the infection prefix, which should be sufficient to warn anyone not to open the file. Remember that "good" files with a false positive recognition go into quarantine, just like bad files, so you might not want to "mangle" quarantined files too much. The developers might do something else to quarantined files at some point in the future.

Regards,
Quarantine