ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
ClamWUG Auto Updater
neonpolaris

Does anybody know anything about ClamWUG from MooreWorks.net?

It's supposed to automatically update clamwin (builds, not just definitions), and I've tried it and it works. The only thing I don't like is how it runs. You have to execute the application directly from their servers.

Code:
cmd /c "START http://dem.mine.nu/ClamWUG/ClamWUG.application" && exit

Also, now I'm getting e-mails from them having harvested my e-mail addresses from my website. Wanting to 'help me' or something.

Is there another way of auto updating between versions? I found one script but it was terribly clunky. I've scoured the forums here and have not found anything else.
RE: ClamWUG Auto Updater
DaleEMoore

Hi neonpolaris;

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah I wanted to avoid having to manually update ClamWin so I wrote this application. It runs from my servers using asp.net click once to easily keep ClamWug itself up to date.

I do not harvest email addresses. I do no marketing, all my work comes to me by word of mouth. I did find someone had installed ClamWug and scheduled the updates, but did not schedule the ClamScan so they were getting no benefits from their anti-virus; but, they were staying up to date. So I tried to reach them to inform them of their problem. I have never yet heard back from those folks. Is this you?
Quote:
Where is SALES1\Administrator and what machine is this and whom is it?

C:\; Fixed; ; NTFS; 232,819,806,208.00; 250,048,479,232.00
IP Device 0, Address 192.168.0.101
Your current public IP Address is: 97.66.27.234
dalem@Bubbles:~$ whois 97.66.27.234
ITC^Deltacom NETBLCK-ITCD-7 (NET-97-66-0-0-1)

97.66.0.0 - 97.67.255.255
North Florida Truck Parts ITCD-97-66-27-232 (NET-97-66-27-232-1)
97.66.27.232 - 97.66.27.239

http://www.nftruckparts.com/
Toll-Free: 1-800-356-0931

service@nftruckparts.com, chad@nftruckparts.com, troy@nftruckparts.com
I look forward to hearing from you,
Dale E. Moore
DaleEMoore@gMail.Com
neonpolaris

Yes, that's the computer that I tested it out on. All of the computers here are set to scan all of C: at midnight via Clamwin Scheduled Scan.

It's funny, I only a couple days ago I saw your post about silent upgrades, and made the connection by a link that you posted.

I assumed the addresses were harvested as you e-mailed three different people here with the same letter, and only those whose addresses are on our website.

Your software is the only one I found that seems to keep Clamwin version up to date completely automatically. The only thing I don't like is that I have to run software directly off of someone else's servers. That is to say, I have no control over when/if that (3rd parties) software were to change. I don't mean anything by it, I'm just paranoid that way.

I'm working on an in-house method, but so far I've only been able to come up with something that I have to manually change with every new version. Mind you, I only have to make one change in one place, and my PC's all update (and not re-download to software from the web for each machine), but it will do nothing until I realize that there is a new version to deploy.

Bubbles? Smile
ClamWug Source?
DaleEMoore

Do you code in c#? Perhaps I should re-consider opening up the source code.
neonpolaris

No, everything I have done is script based.
ClamWUG Auto Updater