Reply to topic
My School Doesnt Have...
robotman5alt

some pc's at my school dont have anti-virus so i install Win-Clam Smile

isnt that Great?

i might just try it some time soon! Cool
GuitarBob

That's great, however, did you read the notice on the ClamWin home page that

"Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware."

This means that ClamWin doesn't automatically scan files in real-time as you download them while surfing the Web. You have to manually scan each file with ClamWin after it is downloaded OR you can schedule automatic ClamWin scans at times of your choosing.

This is a hassle for some people. So if you surf the Web and download a lot, it's probably best to use a real-time scanner and keep ClamWin as a backup. Some good free scanners you could use are AntiVir (from Avira), Avast (from Alwil) and PC-Tools Antivirus (from PC-Tools).

There is a real-time version of ClamWin in development, but there is no announced release date.

Regards,
robotman5alt

the thing is that i cant get any other ani-virus to work on the pcs just clam

and i cant scan i got other classes to go to.....
Antonio S.

Hello robotman5alt,

First of all, thanks for spreading ClamWin. I do the same with my colleagues willing to have an extra layer of protection on their home PC's.

Back to your message, I'm not quite sure about 'cant get any other ani-virus to work on the pcs just clam'.

If you mean this ClamWin is an AV tool you can use freely also in educational environment then this is correct.
Anyway as ClamWin has not real time protection by now I would suggest to follow Bob's recommendations.
You can set ClamWin preferences tab for scheduled scans of full HD or single computer folders (namely Documents and Settings and Windows folders are the ones which are most likely to harbour malware, so you can choose to perform scheduled scans of these folders on hourly/daily/weekly basis).

Of course it mainly depends on how long PC's are connected to the web and how frequently files are downloaded. However, if new/unknown files are scanned before opening, you may think to plan a daily schedule of the Documents and Settings and windows/system32 folders and full HD scan at least once per week.

If you also use use a mail client on PC's ClamWin can be set to have an integration with MS Outlook (not Outlook Express!) for scanning incoming messages.

Hope this helps,
robotman5alt

ok and the reason why i cant get other pc ant-virus on there for some reasons its blocked form being install but not clam...
My School Doesnt Have...