ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Scan with ClamWin Free Antivirus from context menu is broken
bradpskiff

In version 0.94, the right click context menu "Scan with ClamWin Free Antivirus" is broken in Windows Vista Home Premium with UAC enabled. It does not launch the UAC popup that you would normally click the [continue] button on. It instead, pops up a window with the following error:

Error: Unable to execute command "C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamWin.exe" --mode=scanner --path="c:\utils\bats\copylogs.bat".

I am certain this is an issue with ClamWin and UAC in Vista. Installing ClamWin as administrator or for all users makes no difference. Right click context scan is broken in Vista with UAC enabled.

Any workaround?

PS - It DOES work only if logged in as Administrator. Even though installed for all users. Error occurs if logged in as any other user.

Brad
alch
Site Admin

Clamwin does not need elevated privileges, and should not pup up a UAC prompt. Please check that you did not accidentially set Clamwin.exe to run as Administrator.
bradpskiff

I uninstalled it from the computer and did a clean re-install of clamwin .94 for all users of this computer from my user account. When you reboot and log in to the user account, you get this message:

Windows has blocked some startup programs.
Windows blocks programs that require permission to run
when Windows starts. Click to view blocked programs.

After telling it to allow this "unknown program", clamwin starts and displays the tray icon. I get the same error message on any user attempt at using the right click context menu "Scan with ClamWin Antivirus".

The right click context menu scan works only if I am logged in as Administrator. However, in the user account, if I start (Open ClamWin) from the tray icon, I can browse to a folder and scan it no problem and with no request to allow special permissions. If I look at the ClamWin open window with Process Explorer, it appears to be running as "BUILTIN/Administrators Owner" and "BUILTIN/Users Mandatory" which appears to be wrong?? If I understand your comments.

Brad
alch
Site Admin

I tested it today with Vista under a user account and it works as expected. Please check the properties of Clamwin.exe-Compatibility-Run As Adminitrator should NOT be selected. I am almost sure this was set manually and is the reason for your issues.
bradpskiff

THAT WAS IT !!! It is working as you said. Thanks for your help! I checked all the executables in the c:\program files\clamwin\bin directory and for some odd reason, clamwin.exe was the only one with Run this program as an Administrator checked on the compatibility tab. Vista is such a PAIN! Of my 5 computers, 1 is linux only (Debian), two dual boot linux (fedora 9) and XP pro, one XP pro only and the newest laptop is Vista - - - what a pain it has been.

Thank You Sincerely!

Brad
Scan with ClamWin Free Antivirus from context menu is broken