ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
False positive? explorer.exe? Or am I in trouble still?
wizz0r

Hi,
First of all, I'm new, so please feel free to move this topic/flame me to oblivion if I did something wrong.

Secondly (to the topic stated in the topic)

A couple of days ago I ran a clamwin scan to see if I had a virus, since I was getting some pretty weird stuff from some software (namely, Live Messenger displaying posts as blank, when someone typed to me). The software found a match in memory, and identified the Windows core UI file explorer.exe as the culprit. The infection was identified as trojan.patched-6.

I tried to fix it, but when I deleted or rewrote with a healthy file, the file reappeared, and seemed still infected. For a couple of days, I used Linux to do my essential work, since I didn't want to use a virus ridden system, but today I decided to try and fix it. After a couple of hours of scanning with various tools, (including TrendMicro online scan, which crashes every time I use it) I tried BitDefender, Spybot S&D, AVG Anti Virus, Comodo Firewall internal scanner as well as HijackThis, and none of them found anything. Then it occurred to me, that this might be a false positive. I manually had ClamWin update the virus definitions, and the next time I ran the scan, the report showed no infections.

So, what I'm asking is, am I safe, was this a false positive, or, is this a particularly elusive one, or have I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it if you had the time and will to read this far.
wizz0r

Uhm.
I browsed through the forum for a while, and noticed the search apparently only searches the selected forum section, there was another topic about this, in virus scanning category, any discussion about this there, my apologies.
sherpya

it's a false positive latest db update should fix it
False positive? explorer.exe? Or am I in trouble still?