ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
DEP closes ClamWin in Outlook
Ricket

Hi,

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32-bit and I have hardware DEP enabled (for extra protection against spyware, rootkits, etc). I installed ClamWin and enabled the Outlook extension. I have Outlook 2007. When I clicked a mailto link in Firefox 3, it opened up a new Outlook message but then Vista notified me that ClamWin had been closed due to DEP violation. However, I could not duplicate it with subsequent clicks, and ClamWin continues to run in the system tray.

Please test the application to be fully compatible with DEP! Perhaps this was a fluke, but it did appear to me that it was real. I don't know how I would distinguish whether ClamWin scanned the e-mail or not; I never actually sent the e-mail, just closed the message right after opening it (the link click was an accident). I also don't know which executable file caused the error; Vista didn't say, it only specified "ClamWin".

If anyone else has this problem, please post here! I know the majority of users don't know what DEP is, much less its effects or how to enable it, but it really is worthwhile to enable. In the past I have performed tests from the eyes of a hacker and DEP causes exploits to fail (and cause no harm) where they normally would succeed without it.

Thanks!
-Ricket
sherpya

outlook does not use clamwin executable are you sure vista is blocking clamwin.exe?
perhaps no problem here winxp 64 with dep enabled on all executables
the only executable that uses "strange" api is clamscan but the code is used only when --unload is specified
and it's not used when called by clamwin
Yes ClamWin commits DEP violations with Microsoft Outlook
fgenolini

I have reported this bug and submitted Windows event logs.
All the PCs that I have configured to enforce hardware DEP (CPU support required) have this fault.
From the developers of ClamWin I seem to understand that software DEP from Windows does not trigger an exception.
alch
Site Admin

It's OlAddin.exe that is getting blocked
I am looking at moving back to OlAddin.dll for Outlook com plugin
Re: Yes ClamWin commits DEP violations with Microsoft Outloo
alch
Site Admin

fgenolini wrote:
I have reported this bug and submitted Windows event logs.
All the PCs that I have configured to enforce hardware DEP (CPU support required) have this fault.
From the developers of ClamWin I seem to understand that software DEP from Windows does not trigger an exception.

Could you try an older version 0.90 and tell me if it has the same problem:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/clamwin/clamwin-0.90-setup.exe

Thanks,
Alch
ClamWin commits DEP violations with Microsoft Outlook
elephant

I just had this issue on Vista Business. I added OlAddin.exe as DEP exception and now it works.

I have a small issue with the About box in Outlook 2003. It reads "An error occurred in the Clamwin Free about box. [Errno 22] Invalid arguement."
sherpya

perhaps such a thing is not really normal, I've got similar things in explorer.exe and it was acrobat actives (I think)
it means that is a situation similar to a crash, but for some reason it does not crash but with dep it gets trapped
DEP closes ClamWin in Outlook