ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Shell extensions in xp 64
genaldar

It would be great if in an upcoming release it supported shell extensions in 64 bit xp and server 2003.
alch
Site Admin

what do you mean by "shell extensions"?
genaldar

You know when you right click on a file or folder and get that context menu, in 32 bit windows it includes an option to scan for viruses with clamwin. But because 64 bit handles that differently that entry isn't in the list.
alch
Site Admin

I see it needs the shell extension dll compiled for 64 bit. version 1 will cater for that.
genaldar

Thanks.

I doubt this is helpful, but I found something weird out tonight. If you right click on a file in a 32 bit window (say the open file menu in ie, avant browser ms office, etc.) the "Scan for viruses with ClamWin" is there. Granted that just means that the shell extension is still present in 32 bit mode (kind of a given) but I still thought it was kind of interesting.
alch
Site Admin

genaldar wrote:
Thanks.

I doubt this is helpful, but I found something weird out tonight. If you right click on a file in a 32 bit window (say the open file menu in ie, avant browser ms office, etc.) the "Scan for viruses with ClamWin" is there. Granted that just means that the shell extension is still present in 32 bit mode (kind of a given) but I still thought it was kind of interesting.

This is expected, MSIE or MSWORD are 32 bit processes and therefore clamwin shell extension is present. Native Windows Explorer is 64 bit process and hence cannot load 32 bit clamwin extension dll.
Zero0000

With this changes in the registry you can get Shell Extensions:
-------------------------------

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\ClamAV]
@="Scan with &ClamAV"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\ClamAV\command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\clamwin\\bin\\clamwin.exe --mode=scanner --path=\"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\ClamAV]
@="Scan with &ClamAV"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\ClamAV\command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\clamwin\\bin\\clamwin.exe --mode=scanner --path=\"%1\""

--------------------
Of course you must change the my path to your path auf clamwin.exe. Then you can save the code in a file with the ending .reg and merge it in your registry.
genaldar

I made the registry settings you suggested but when I chose ClamAV on the context menu the "chose which program you'd like to open" dialog box popped up.
Zero0000

I upload you an export of my registry entrys. If your clamwin path is C:\Program Files (x86)\clamwin you can use it as it is.

Else you must change the Path in the Reg-File...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7E2447C21419D132 http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7E2447C21419D132

Greetz
genaldar

Perfect! Thank you kindly. I wish I knew what I did wrong, but since it works now I probably won't take the time to figure it out.
Zero0000

no problem Wink.
Shell extensions in xp 64