ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Why aren't you using clamdscan
sasanf

I've been troubleshooting Clamwin with hMailServer for the last few days. I had to stop using Clamwin because clamscan.exe takes too long to scan an incoming e-mail for viruses. A 700 KB email took 2.8 second using clamscan. The same file took .1 second using clamdscan. I uninstalled ClamWin from my mail server and installed ClamAv-W32. I also copied the contents of runclamd.zip to the ClamAv directory and installed runclamd.exe as a service. Runclamd.exe runs as a service and it also starts and runs clamd.exe as a service.

In hMs there are two tabs under the Anti-Virus section. There is a ClamWin tab and an External Virus Scanner tab. If you have ClamWin installed on the mail server you can, under the ClamWin tab, click on Auto Detect and hMs will detect the location of clamscan.exe and the location for the ClamWin's db file. The External Virus Scanner tab gives a text box to manually specify the location of a command line scanner and a text box to specify the return code. To get clamdscan.exe to work --> c:\progra~1\clamav\clamdscan "%FILE%". To get clamscan to work --> c:\program files\clamav\clamscan. Clamav-w32 comes with both clamdscan and clamscan. I don't know why anyone would want to use clamscan as it is very slow. Clamdscan is very fast. My suggestion is for Clamwin to start using clamdscan instead of clamscan. The link below will take you to the hMs thread where I and other hMs forum members troubleshooted the issue --> http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51713#51713

Finally if I copy clamdscan.exe to the ClamWin directory and specify it as the exe to run in the Clamscan Location text box, will clamwin still work?
alch
Site Admin

the only difference between clamscan and clamdscan is in startup time, clamdscan is using clamd daemon and database is not loaded every time clamdscan is started. In clamwin we don't use clamd because we are working on an alternative solution better suited for Windows platform, which will be available in V1.

if you copy clamdscan.exe to clamwin folder it will not do any harm
sasanf

Okay. Please have the scan engine you are working on for V1 to be as fast or faster than the clamd/clamdscan combination. I would much rather use ClamWin for my E-mail server AV since hMs supports it natively. Also, I did copy clamdscan to the Clamwin directory and specified it as the scanner to use. I then attempted to scan my C drive and got an error. Apparently clamdscan will not work with Clamwin. No biggie. Clamwin is still a great choice for a deskotp/server antivirus. Finally, are there any plans for giving Clamwin real-time scanning functionality that is similar to Avast AV?
alch
Site Admin

yes, real time scanning is being developed for v1 too
Why aren't you using clamdscan