ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Incompatibility issue with ClamWin and Winpooch
Dark`Crimson

Hello there Smile
I absolutely adore this piece of software, it works great, it sooooooo lite I even can't imagine AV that's liter than that, it has automatic updates, spelndit ability to find viruses, of course there are cons - slow scanning and no real-time protection.
On the station there have access a lot of people, so I can't leave it without real-time protection. Then I heard of Winpooch, I gave it a try but when I associate it with ClamWin for real-time scanning of files my PC starts to work extremely slow even only whe I click the start menu, or something else simple like that. And after I restart it for first time after instalation of Winpooch, the PC starts to boot Windows and after the logo screen it restarts itself, and keep on doing that untill I boot Windows under Safe Mode and remove the Winpooch.
Can someone tell me where's the problem and how can I fix it ?
I use the latest verisions of ClamWin and Winpooch, my station is with Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM.
Any suggestions will be of great help, I simply can't use the PC without real-time protection.
So HELP Sad

THX in advance to all!
sherpya

iirc winpooch already have an internal clamav engine, so it's not mandatory that you use clamwin,
clamav scan is slow itself, and without some tricks (that we are adopting for v1) it can be
very slow
Winpooch & ClamWin
GuitarBob

I recently looked at Winpooch, installed it, and my Win XP system became slow and unstable. The ClamWin people have said that Winpooch uses dangerous system hooks, and it's true. I suggest that you uninstall Winpooch. Before you can uninstall it, you will have to quit/exit Winpooch from the system tray icon. If you have Windows XP, use the inbound firewall that comes with it, or for better protection (in/out bound), use the free ZoneAlarm firewall.

If you are concerned about not having a resident virus scanner, you can get the free Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Classic at the link below. A second choice is the free AVG antivirus program from Grisoft, but AntiVir is probably the best of the free antivirus programs. It spotted a trojan for me that the paid version of AVG couldn't see.

Keep ClamWin as a backup on-demand scanner until it becomes resident. Then make it your primary scanner.

Get Avira AntiVir at http://www.free-av.com/

Regards,
Dark`Crimson

Thanks guys!
I installed Avira, and I really liked it. I'm keeping ClamWin as a second on demand scaner, and I'm looking forward for ClamWin 1.0, when it will be my primary antivirus Twisted Evil
I dont see that hindrence!
mosh

well i to have it installed on win XP2, with winclamAV 0.88.7 & win pooch0.6.3.Both are working fine .I did this based on advice from a PC mag,who had said there wont be any issues with wincalam/Kaspersky running along win pooch.
Winpooch
GuitarBob

Make sure you use the most recent STABLE version of Winpooch. I believe I used the beta version, which did some things I didn't like--too many warnings, etc.

Regards,
sherpya

winpooch has his own libclamav engine right now, I think it's better to use it instead of calling external programs
So,should i uninstall!
mosh

winclamAV from my system?
Incompatibility issue with ClamWin and Winpooch