ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Detection rate and e-mail scanning workaround
Deviad

Hello,
according to virus.gr and other websites which publish tests, Clamwin has a detection rate of roughly the 50%.
I'd like to know if these tests are reliable and if this datum (sing. of data Razz) is true is it something moving on to improve the program?
Another question I willed to make is if winpooch is good for scanning attachments in the mail boxes since it's like an on access scanner.
Btw, I thank god that someone strains to code an opensource antivirus, mine is not a critique in any way.
Thanks forward for your further answers.
Deviad
sherpya

clamwin uses clamav db virus engine and signatures, so we inherit detection rate directly from clamav,
I use clamav as system wide email scanners on my servers and it blocks almost all the viruses, so 50% seams to be very far
from the real value.
I don't known much winpooch but it doesn't do onaccess scanning, btw if it acts as a proxy for the email server it should work fine
Deviad

sherpya wrote:
clamwin uses clamav db virus engine and signatures, so we inherit detection rate directly from clamav,
I use clamav as system wide email scanners on my servers and it blocks almost all the viruses, so 50% seams to be very far
from the real value.
I don't known much winpooch but it doesn't do onaccess scanning, btw if it acts as a proxy for the email server it should work fine

The new version of winpooch monitors all the connection activity, has an internal version of the port of clamav which scans faster and uses less CPU, acts like a an application layer firewall asking if an application should be run or not(which sometimes can be a pain in the arse.
budtse

Hi,

After checking the (very compact) WinPooch website, i'm wondering whether WinPooch does real on-access scanning (scans every file that is somehow loaded in memory) or just on-execute scanning, as it says (and i quote) "it will be possible to detect virus in a program before it runs".

Just to be sure, i asked the question on the Winpooch-users mailing list (i can't give you a link because it wasn't archived as yet). I'll give you an update here.

budtse
budtse

Ok, i got this (very fast) reply :

Quote:
Hi,

The description on the web-site is out dated.
If you use latest version 0.6.2, file scan is based on file extension
and concerns all read access.

Regards,
Benoit.

Seems that they have real on-access scanning, so you should be safe with that, even for email scanning. That is of course if they set appropriate file extension filters.
ClamWin Reliability
GuitarBob

In a recent test I read about, ClamWin found almost as many viruses as Grisoft's AVG program. AVG is the only other AV software that I know of that has been compared with ClamWin so far. You might note that AVG has been around about 10 years, while ClamWin has been in existence a little more than two years.

No security software is going to find 100% of all viruses. Many of the viruses you hear about are not "real world" viruses that an average user is likely to encounter. What you need is security software that will find the real world stuff--not laboratory viruses or other exotic stuff. You might look at the number and type of businesses that are using ClamAV and ClamWin. You will see many email businesses. These types of businesses are likely to encounter lots of "real world" viruses, and they need reliable security software. They use ClamAV or ClamWin, and I think this says a lot. ClamWin isn't yet a resident antivirus program, so you need to use it with another security software program that is resident.

There is a "roadmap" for near-term development of ClamWin. To a large extent, however, future improvement of ClamWin depends upon the use, support, and suggestions of users like you and me. And don't forget that ClamAV also needs our support because it provides the "engine" and the virus database signatures for ClamWin.

Check out the ClamWin Web site or send email to the ClamWin staff about 0ways you can support the program.

Regards,
Detection rate and e-mail scanning workaround