ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
ROCKNROLLKID

I believe sherpya once had ClamWin on github, but I do not know if that is still on there anymore. A user reported on here sometime ago that the sourcecode on the ClamWin homepage was outdated.
BarneyJ

May be u should try to look at this blog http://djangostars.com/blog/ . Helped me couple times.
Good luck!
GuitarBob

To my knowledge, RRK, there's nothing to speak of.

Regards,
ROCKNROLLKID

I think you need to adjust your glasses Bob as that was not me who posted that, haha.
GuitarBob

Sorry! It's not the glasses--it's the cataracts. I don't see anything as to ClamWin real-time until after Clam AV version 1.0. Perhaps Clam will finally give a nod to Windows users in 1.0 and make something for the Windows OS that is similar to the real-time function for Linux they presently have. On the other hand, I would like it just as much if incorporated a web blocker for bad web sites. If you can prevent access to malware, that is better than detecting it when it gets on your computer.

Regards,
ROCKNROLLKID

There already is a web blocker in ClamAV, but it looks like it was never added to ClamWin. ClamAV uses the Google filters, which is the same as to what Firefox and Chrome already have built into their web browsers., so really ClamAV could just take this out as it really isn't needed anymore.

ClamAV could just do a simple real-time protection that just scans on read and write and it should be good enough for average use. Later on, they can add onto it, like networking scanning and other things. Still, they need to make it run as a service first, otherwise it will be really slow and consume a lot of system resources.

Maybe if people here from ClamWin start sending emails and open bug tickets up at their Bugzilla page, it might help convince them to finally do that.
GuitarBob

If they improve Clam AV too much, they may cut into usage of the other Sourcefire/Cisco security software, so I guess they can not improve it too much beyond protection of email servers. It's up to someone else to help on Windows.

Microsoft browser users have the Smartscreen web filter, so perhaps we Windows users are better protected against bad web sites than I thought. Some web filters are better than others, however.

Regards,
ROCKNROLLKID

GuitarBob wrote:
Microsoft browser users have the Smartscreen web filter, so perhaps we Windows users are better protected against bad web sites than I thought. Some web filters are better than others, however.

As of Windows 8 and 10, the smartscreen can work on any browser, besides IE/Edge. It is actually in the OS now instead of just in the browsers.
lindseynicole010

thanks
GuitarBob

There is no news, and no production has been started. What we need are one or two good programmers who will donate some time to the project. Otherwise, there will never be a real-time version of ClamWin with a specific orientation toward the Windows platform on which it is used.

Thanks for asking. Perhaps someone will steip up and help!

Regards,
vondess

Why not using Clam Sentinel into ClamWin antivirus? ..at least as a first step, so there would be a complete solution

and then if nessesary fix a proper real time scanner which works better than this intergration
GuitarBob

I don't think Microsoft has ever given any of their code to Opens Source! They have made use of Open Source, but they don't give anything back.

At one time Cisco was using Clam AV on about 200 computers, but they never gave a damn penny to it. They bought Sourcefire, and now they own Clam AV!

Regards,
rahulmittal79

I am of the opinion that corporations/organizations with networks should pay something for development. All of the commercial AVs restrict the use of their free products to individuals. Corporate/organizational use is a special case--they need an AV that is robust, well-tested, with good/quick support. That should cost money in my book.
paulrshbh

That is great! I suggest that you contact head developer Alch via the contact link on the ClamWin main web page. I am sure he can use the help.
https://get-mobdro.com/home/ get-mobdro.com

Last edited by paulrshbh on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
GuitarBob

No news at all, RRK. I wanted to see if there was any interest in improving ClamWin. There is not much interest apparently.

That's a shame, but the developers have to make a living doing other things, and evidently there are not enough ClamWin users now. At one time it had about 600,000 users, but that was some time ago. I thought Alch/Sherpya might get enough money at $5/$10 per user to pay a professional programmer update/improve ClamWin.

Do you have any idea about how to get the source code for Clam Sentinel? It is now read-only, and you have to get it via CVS.

Regards,
Real Time protection