ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Hello Everibody i has a basic question of Clamwin
Raul

Hi, I have a question.
When will be the realtime scaner?
Will blook the dangerous programs (cracks, programs that it dowload without my permise)?
I will install for test in my computer because i like ClamWin
Thanks!
GuitarBob

In my opinion, based on working with the ClamWin team since basically 2006, there will not be a real-time version of ClamWin.

The Clam Sentinel Project developed a resident scanner that scans with ClamWin, and it also used heuristics to detect unknown malware. It was developed in 2012 but has not seen any developments since 2014. It is a bit out-of-date in detecting lots of the current malware around now. Nevertheless, if a malware has sloppy code and is not real professionally written, Clam Sentinel will still detect it. The Clam Sentinel web page is at https://sourceforge.net/projects/clamsentinel/ on the web.

The ClamWin developers recommend that you use a real-time scanner with ClamWin as backup scanner for best protection. I do not feel that Clam Sentinel is good enough, but I still use it with ClamWin, and another scanner.

Thanks for using ClamWin all these years!

Regards,
Raul

Many Thanks!
I have clamwin into my computer but i had there.
I like this because it's an Open Source program and it can be installed into many computers that's you can and it's legaly free.
I used clam sentinel on my computer but i'm not sure that it's installed or no.
Have a good day!
GuitarBob

I think Clam Sentinel may be more trouble than it is worth now. It does not detect the latest malware (since 2014). It sometimes has false detections (false positives) and it was not really set up for Windows 10, although it will run on most computers. I suggest using Mirosoft Windows Defender on Windows 10 or Microsoft Security Essentials on older computers. It is free, it provides adequate detection, and it benefits from Microsoft's research and improvements.

Regards,
Raul

Hello!
I use Microsoft antivirus on Win10 because it makes me lazy to change it but it's not my favorite. On my Windows 7 i use Ad-Aware Free. I like it!
GuitarBob

Windows Defender is pretty good, but I do not like the lack of user control. I think that Adaware is also good (uses the Bitdefender engine), but I think it makes money from users by tracking/ads. There are very few free AVs now that do not make money from the user(s) in some way. Do not use the Chinese AVs like Qihoo 360 and Ten Cent.

Thanks for using ClamWin!

Regards,
Raul

Thanks!

I only used in my life AVG Free, ClamWin and Ad-Aware free. I used Avast in my Windows 98 Se but i don't like because my computer was slow and it blocking me (had a virus) and would not let me do anything and tham i remove Avast from my computer.
I like Avg Free also. but Ad-Aware saved my computer from a virus. Avg Free also helped my computer.
GuitarBob

I used AVG for a long time and still use it once in a while. I quit using it full-time back in 2006 when they dropped support for Win 98. It is now owned by Avast, and it is still a good AV. Avast/AVG now have the same scan engine, and I expect Avast to discontinue AVG in a few years.

Many free AVs try to install other files besides the AV--like a browser, web blocker, etc. I always uncheck the install block for these files.

Regards,
Hello Everibody i has a basic question of Clamwin