ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
ClamWin will not reload when I start my system
hazcat

I have been using Clamwin for some years (yes I have donated) and upgraded as requested several days ago. Now each time I start my computer I get a message saying Errors heave occurred please see "C:\Program Files(x86)\ClamWin\bin\ClamTray.exe.log' for more details. I have done that and though 'Clamtray.exe" is listed there is no ".log" and when I click on the .exe file I get the same error message as above. I have uninstalled and reinstalled (with full shut downs in between) and it works fine untill I shut down then when I restatrt I get the above error message. I am using Win 8.1.
GuitarBob

Hmmm. Sounds strange. If everything was okay before you installed ClamWin version .99.4 and the problem occurred after you installed it, then I guess the problem is due to the new version. I am using Win 8.1, and version .99.4 tested just fine for the week that we beta tested it.

I suggest that you uninstall ClamWin and then install version .99.4 again, BUT when you install, right click on the setup file and choose to run as an administrator. See if that helps. Keep the previous version (.99.1, wasn't it?) around--you may need to continue using it for a while if this doesn't help. Note any error messages you get so we can tell the ClamWin developers about it.

Let us know how it goes.

Are you also using Clam Sentinel along with ClamWin?

Regards,
hazcat

GuitarBob, First, thanks for the reply.

I uninstalled then reinstalled as admin. Did a restart and got the same message. No I am not using Clam Sentinel (don't even know what it is).

I don't have a copy of 99.1. I originally did the 'upgrade' install. Then I did an uninstall and just did the fresh 99.4 install.

Thanks.
GuitarBob

Clam Sentinel is an outdated program to enable real-time ClamWin scanning. I will run this by the ClamWin developers to see if they can help. Meantime, all ClamWin versions are available for download at https://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/files/clamwin/ on the web.

Regards,
sherpya

the log cannot be written in that location on win8.1, as I see you are using 64bit version of win81, I'll try to find a copy to reproduce the problem
hazcat

OK tried to install 99.1 got this during the process:

WARNING: getpatch: Can't download main-58.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Incremental update failed, trying to download main.cvd
nonblock_connect: giving up due to excessive bogus loops
Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (IP: 128.199.133.36)
Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (IP: 157.131.0.17)
Trying host database.clamav.net (204.130.133.50)...
nonblock_connect: connect timing out (30 secs)
Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (IP: 204.130.133.50)
WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 21 19:25:02 2018
nonblock_connect: connect timing out (30 secs)
Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (IP: 128.199.133.36)
Trying host database.clamav.net (157.131.0.17)...
Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (IP: 157.131.0.17)
Trying host database.clamav.net (204.130.133.50)...
Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (IP: 204.130.133.50)
WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 21 19:26:39 2018

Stopped the process and clicked 'finish'. Did a system restart and got original error message.

And thank you all for the help!
GuitarBob

I suggest that you just set ClamWin for automatic hourly updates. Check in a couple of hours, and it will probably be updated.

Regards,
GuitarBob

Hazcat: think I found the problem. Go to the Windows Defender Security Settings, Virus and Threat Protection, Virus and Threat Protection Settings, scroll down to Control Folder Access and turn it off. This is something Microsoft did to prevent unauthorized folder access. After doing this, you should not get any error message if you have installed ClamWin. If you have not installed it, then install it (run as an admin). It should work fine then. If you are not using Windows Defender, temporarily use it, and make the above changes.

Let us know how it goes. Be sure to use a real-time AV (Windows Defender is fine) along with ClamWin for best protection. I like to exclude all the ClamWin\bin\.exe files and the ClamWin data folder, and the file type clamtmp from the Windows Defender scans.

Thanks for using ClamWin.

Regards,
hazcat

GuitarBob, I have windows defender turned off. And as far as auto updates on ClamWin, it won't even start after I do a normal system shutdown.
sherpya

just tried a vm with windows 8.1 x64 italian locale, what is your locale?
GuitarBob

Hazcat: I didn't have any problems on wife's Win 10 when I installed ClamWin as admin during our week of beta testing. I then uninstalled it. Tonight I re-installed it (as admin) and got a message similar to the one you mentioned in your first post. I made the changes explained above, restarted and did not receive any message. ClamWin is working fine on Win 10--think I'll keep it there as 2nd opinion scanner to Windows Defender.

Regards,

ADDENDUM:

Once again, no sign-on error message on Windows 10, so I wish you would try what I suggested above. For some reason, I thought you were on Win 10, but I see it is Win 8.1. Try it--might work, but I don't know how to access the controlled folder access option in Win 8.1 (if there is one).
hazcat

GuitarBob, As I stated above I have Windows Defender turned off completely so that should eliminate that possibility. I am in the US.
sherpya

@hazcat just tested also english win8.1 64bit without problem, I suspect something like the video drivers injects a custom dll in every process (e.g. nvidia does it) and somehow crashes the process.
Could you check please if the clamtray.exe.log is dropped in %Temp% instead?
hazcat

Sherpya, where is the %Temp% file located? in (x86) I have a Temp folder but it is empty and I don't see anything like that in the ClamWin folder.
sherpya

@hazcat, try to copy the whole program files x86\clamwin folder to a writable location (.e.g. the desktop) then launch clamtray.exe from there (close if already opened), here it shoould be able to create the log file
ClamWin will not reload when I start my system