ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
How Do I Remove Viruses, etc. that are Quarantined?
joanmacdonald14

How do I remove infections of all sorts that Clamwin has put in my Clamwin Quarantine Folder?
GuitarBob

If the quarantined files are infected with a virus, you can manually go to the ClamWin folder and manually delete the file and the accompanying text location file, which ClamWin can use to restore a file with the QRecover program (more later).

If the files are falsely detected (false positives), you can run the QRecover program found in the ClamWin\bin folder to return the file to the original folder the file was in. You should also whitelist the file via the ClamWin Configure, Filters, Exclude Matching Filenames menu item. You should also upload any false positive file to Clam AV at http://www.clamav.net/contact (select the false positive link) so they cna correct their signature which ClamWin uses.

You can verify files as infected or not by uploading them to Virus Total at https://www.virustotal.com/ on the web. I like to see at least 2 of these other AVs detect a file before I believe it is infected: Avira, Bitdefender, Eset Nod 32, Kaspersky, and Sophos.

Thanks for using ClamWin!

Regards,
GuitarBob - Removing Quarantined Viruses, etc. from Folder
joanmacdonald14

Thanks so much, "GuitarBob" for the excellent advice.

Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to Delete all Quarantined items.

I hit "Select All" but still don't know what to Click on to get rid of viruses, etc.

Thanks again!

Joan
GuitarBob

Hit Select All and then right click and select Delete.

The QRecover program is only helpful when you need to restore some falsely detected (false positive) files. It badly needs to be fixed so you could delete files as well as restore. That is why you have to manually delete files from quarantine.

Regards,
Still Can't Delete Quarantined Infections
joanmacdonald14

To: GuitarBob

Bob,

I did try the Select All in the Quarantine Folder but could not do the simple and obvious Right Click and have a Delete option available. The result was to "Restore All" etc., etc.

Something is awry here but I'm new to ClamWin AV but I do appreciate your help and guidance very much.

Joan
Lipper

Hello Joan:

If the files are verified infected at VirusTotal, delete them from the quarantine folder (not QRecover). You don't specify your operating system, but in Win 8.1 the quarantine folder is at C:\ProgramData\.clamwin\quarantine. Hope that helps.

Regards,
GuitarBob

Follow Lipper's advice-go to the Quarantine folder from Windows Explorer and Select All/Delete. Let us know how it goes.

Added: After selecting all items in the Quarantine folder, right click on one of the items, and then select Delete. All items should then be deleted.

Regards,
santiano

GuitarBob wrote:
If the quarantined files are infected with a virus, you can manually go to the ClamWin folder and manually delete the file and the accompanying text location file, which ClamWin can use to restore a file with the QRecover program (more later).

If the files are falsely detected (false positives), you can run the QRecover program found in the ClamWin\bin folder to return the file to the original folder the file was in. You should also whitelist the file via the ClamWin Configure, Filters, Exclude Matching Filenames menu item. You should also upload any false positive file to Clam AV at http://www.clamav.net/contact (select the false positive link) so they cna correct their signature which ClamWin uses.

You can verify files as infected or not by uploading them to Virus Total at https://www.virustotal.com/ on the web. I like to see at least 2 of these other AVs detect a file before I believe it is infected: Avira, Bitdefender, Eset Nod 32, Kaspersky, and Sophos.

Regards,

I agree with GuitarBob for manual deletion of unwanted or infected files as I had earlier faced and resolved the issue by manual action.
How Do I Remove Viruses, etc. that are Quarantined?