ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
ClamWin Update on Windows Azure VM
Maitri Sejpal

Hello,

I am trying to update ClamWin on my Windows Azure Virtual Machine. Windows has given popup like Your clamwin has update and when i click on update it will give me error like your update is failed check on clamwin scanlog file.

When i checked into log file, it is giving me error like,

ClamAV update process started at Tue Feb 21 06:14:34 2017
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.99.1 Recommended version: 0.99.2
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
main.cvd is up to date (version: 57, sigs: 4218790, f-level: 60, builder: amishhammer)
WARNING: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-21468.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-21468.cdiff from database.clamav.net
ERROR: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution
ERROR: getpatch: Can't download daily-21468.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Incremental update failed, trying to download daily.cvd
ERROR: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution
ERROR: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in c:\users\talent~1\appdata\local\temp\30\tmp9ry1gs is working.

[/b]And My site is live and ClamWin is on my windows azure Virtual Machine and i can not take any risk about this.
Please guide me on this.

Thanks,
Maitri Sejpal
GuitarBob

It appears that there is a "non-recoverable failure with name resolution" on the VM. I'm not sure what it is, but it is related to your Doman Name System (DNS). Maybe ClamWin can not use DNS on a VM. One of the developers used to run Win 98 on a VM to test ClamWin with that OS. As far as I know, there were no problems, but I don't think it has been tested on a VM for quite a while, so I don't know how well it runs on VM now. I recall that there were some changes relating to DNS in the Clam AV code used by ClamWin a year or so ago.

See if ClamWin can protect the VM okay by being installed on the local computer.

Regards,
Maitri Sejpal

I am also don't understanding but, When i updated manually that 3 files 1)Main.cvd 2)bytecode.cvd 3)daily.cvd in db folder of ClamWin

then now this warning is appearing in my log files.

main.cvd is up to date (version: 57, sigs: 4218790, f-level: 60, builder: amishhammer)
daily.cvd is up to date (version: 23101, sigs: 1650084, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
bytecode.cvd is up to date (version: 290, sigs: 55, f-level: 63, builder: neo)

why this warning is appeared? and is this warning is harmful?
ROCKNROLLKID

Alch never released a update for .99.2. It is nothing to worry about. It is just telling you that ClamAV upstream is on .99.2 while your ClamWin is still on .99.1.
Maitri Sejpal

Again this warning is appeared to me

ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 01 09:31:38 2017
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-23102.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-23102.cdiff from database.clamav.net
ERROR: getpatch: Can't download daily-23102.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Incremental update failed, trying to download daily.cvd
ERROR: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in c:\users\talent~1\appdata\local\temp\34\tmph2wse1 is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/doc/mirrors-faq.html for possible reasons.

is there anything to change with database.clamav.net??
GuitarBob

I do not recommend that you use ClamWin to protect a site that is on a commercial VM. You need an AV that scans in real-time with a larger signature database that also does not give you problems like this. The Clam AV scanning engine used by ClamWin was/is developed primarily for Linux email servers that only gets viruses/malware in infected attachments. ClamWin is not very strong in virtual/networked environments. If your site is important to you, use something else!

Regards,
Maitri Sejpal

Thank you for your quick reply.

ClamAv is scanning pdf/docs in my VM. So now if i uninstall Clamwin will it be effect on clamav?

Or will it be ok if i put clamwin but also install another antivirus?

Thanks,
Maitri
GuitarBob

Uninstalling ClamWin should have no effect on Clam Av. They are different programs. ClamWin works only on machines running the Windows OS. Clam AV works only on machines running the Linux/Apple OS.

ClamWin uses the Clam AV virus signatures. It does not scan in real-time, and the virus signatures it gets from Clam AV are not enough to detect many viruses. You would be better off with a free or paid AV from one of the commercial AV companies. You could keep ClamWin as a backup scanner.

Regards,
Maitri Sejpal

Ok then installing another antivirus on my VM has no effect on both CLamAv and ClamWin?
GuitarBob

No, it should not have any effect upon Clam AV or ClamWin. If you scan with Clam AV or ClamWin, however, there may be problems/conflicts when the other AV kicks in during the scan. This can use a lot of resources and could even lock up the computer. You should not need Clam AV or ClamWin if you use another AV.

Regards,
ClamWin Update on Windows Azure VM