ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Add clamav safe browsing to Clamwin
DGM

Can u add clamav safe browsing feature to Clamwin https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq/blob/master/faq/faq-safebrowsing.md
GuitarBob

Yes, it should work. I got it working once, but I also use the Clam Sentinel resident front end to ClamWin, and I kept getting false positives every time the file was checked and Clam Sentinel read the safe browsing database. I decided it was next to useless--even if you use ClamWin alone. Since ClamWin is not a real-time scanner, the safe browsing database will not be of much use to you as you cruise the web. It will only work when you do a manual/scheduled scan with ClamWin and it spots the URL in a saved email or a saved document/file. What we really need is for ClamWin to use a proxy application to check the URLs as you are cruising the web and prevent any activity resulting from a URL that is in the database.

However, if you are an admin checking email/files on a server, it should help. Note the change needed in the ClamWin.conf file found in C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\.clamwin\ on recent Windows OS computers.

Regards,
ROCKNROLLKID

The safe browsing that ClamAV uses is the same one that Firefox and Chrome have built into them. IE/Edge use smart screen filter. Not much point in putting it into ClamWin/ClamAV.
Add clamav safe browsing to Clamwin