ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Cannot write to log file error - can't scan
tomstrummer

If I try to manually scan I get this error every time:

Quote:
ERROR: Can't open c:\docume~1\tom\locals~1\temp\tmpqtttzo in append mode (check permissions!).
ERROR: Problem with internal logger.

-------------------
Completed
-------------------

I also can't do a definition update.

This is my log file (ClamWin1.log) from the temp folder:
Quote:
System Locale: ('en_US', 'cp1252')
Default Encoding: cp1252
Could not read from log file c:\docume~1\tom\locals~1\temp\tmpopw5ub. Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'c:\\docume~1\\tom\\locals~1\\temp\\tmpopw5ub'
Could not write to the log file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\.clamwin\log\ClamScanLog.txt. Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'c:\\docume~1\\tom\\locals~1\\temp\\tmpopw5ub'
Could not write to the log file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\.clamwin\log\ClamUpdateLog.txt. Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'c:\\docume~1\\tom\\locals~1\\temp\\tmpxmwng5'
Unable to remove file c:\docume~1\tom\locals~1\temp\tmpxmwng5. Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'c:\\docume~1\\tom\\locals~1\\temp\\tmpxmwng5'

It is created in the same temp folder, plus I checked folder permissions and it is full access, all clam apps are running under my credentials which is full admin access. Plus if clamwin can create the ClamWin1 error file in the same folder it's obviously correct.

I think this is a bug: If I watch the temp folder I see a file created called 'tmpmx15he'. But the error log says it can't append to 'tmpmavxpk'. So it's trying to write to a different file name than the one that was created.

Note that %comspec% is correct and I don't have a different version of cygwin1.dll anywhere else.
alch
Site Admin

just to check, are you using 0.87.1?
Verification
tomstrummer

I am running 0.87.1 Win XP pro SP2 + all patches.

Thanks.
Any more ideas?
tomstrummer

Any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks for the help!
I can run a manual clamscan
tomstrummer

Note that I can manually run clamscan, like this:
clamscan.exe --database="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\.clamwin\db" --recursive -i %*
and it works fine

I had to manually download the definitions because clamwin gave a similar error when I try to download DB updates with the GUI. I imagine freshclam would run via the command line as well, though I haven't tried it. The problem seems to be based around the temp file creation, that clamwin uses, though that's just a guess.

Any more suggestions?
alch
Site Admin

I don't know what is wrong there - first time I see this problem. Do you have any other antivirus with realtime monitor running?
uninstalled norton & reinstalled ClamWin
tomstrummer

I had Norton AV installed (but disabled.) I uninstalled Norton. Restarted. No change.
Reinstalled ClamWin w/ default options. Rebooted. No change.

I also played around w/ permissions on the temp folders and .clamwin subfolders. I added explicit write/modify permissions for "Everyone" which didn't seem to help. Although I'm assuming all clamWin /clamscan stuff should be running under my credentials - I have Administrators access.

I suppose it's not all bad since I can still run clamscan via the command line.

Does clamscan do the temp folder work, or is that done through clamwin?
alch
Site Admin

temp directory is used by both clamscan and clamwin. However clamscan doesn'ty seem to have problem with it. Clamwin returns an error when it tries to save or read from a log file. No idea why to be honest...
Cannot write to log file error - can't scan