ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
starbound

If I right click one file say for instance a .rar file, and I choose the menu explorer option to scan with ClamWin Free Anti-virus, what happens is I get this message Loading virus signature database, please wait... /.

Is this normal as it appears to take awhile to just scan one .rar file.
starbound

Hope to get help with this as I am not too sure at the moment.
GuitarBob

Sentinel scans files as they are added, modified, or copied to your computer. It does nothing as files are accessed. You must configure Sentinel to use the logs--write scan activity to logs.

Regards,
starbound

GuitarBob wrote:
Sentinel scans files as they are added, modified, or copied to your computer. It does nothing as files are accessed. You must configure Sentinel to use the logs--write scan activity to logs.

Regards,

I have write scan activity to the log ticked in Sentinel, I assume that is what you mean Bob?
GuitarBob

Yes. If you have always had it like that try a Sentinel reinstall.

Neither Clam Sentinel or Clam Win is an "on access" (file open/close) scanner. Sentinel scans as files are added, copied, or modified--it is "resident" only. ClamWin scans "on demand"--manually or as scheduled. They do not offer protection that is quite as complete as "on access" scanners.

Regards,
starbound

GuitarBob wrote:
Yes. If you have always had it like that try a Sentinel reinstall.

Neither Clam Sentinel or Clam Win is an "on access" (file open/close) scanner. Sentinel scans as files are added, copied, or modified--it is "resident" only. ClamWin scans "on demand"--manually or as scheduled. They do not offer protection that is quite as complete as "on access" scanners.

Regards,

Not sure what you mean by that and what would a reinstalled sentinel do?
GuitarBob

Sentinel does not scan when files are accessed (opened or closed)--only when a file is put on your computer or changed. That is why protection is not as complete as an on access scanner. ClanmWin, of course, only scans when you tell it to scan.

Sometimes if something doesn't work as it should in a program, you can fix it by reinstalling the program. Not always, but that's the first thing I do.

Regards,
starbound

I had a windows folder that said it didn't have permission to scan, why would this be?
GuitarBob

Windows can be using some system or program files when they are scanned and an AV can't open them. Many AVs suppress this message.

The Clam Sentinel Simple can help you learn about the program.

Regards
Clam Sentinel will not open