ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Clamwin deleted all text in my Thunderbird inbox
rcharris

I was running a complete scan of my computer, and Clamwin found a trojan in my Thunderbird inbox. I subsequently stopped the scan to run a scan on just that folder. (I wanted to complete the clean and run the full scan later, as I was using the computer fairly heavily at the time). When I ran the scan for just the email folder, the trojan was gone, but all the text in all emails in my inbox was deleted. The emails are still there, but all are empty.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Thanks!

Bob Harris
San Francisco
alch
Site Admin

how did you configure clamwin - Delete/Quarantine/Report?
rcharris

Thanks for your reply. Clamwin is set at quarantine.

I went to the quarantine folder and attempted to restore the mail folder, which did not end in good results. All emails were then gone.

I'm not so much complaining at all this, as wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or am I running into some incompatibility with Thunderbird and Clamwin.

Any thoughts you have on the subject are much appreciated.

Bob
alch
Site Admin

restoring from quarantine usually helps... See this sticky topic: http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=8&
rcharris

Thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated.

I restored the quarantined inbox folder. Thunderbird tried to recover, building a new index, but eventually, all emails in the inbox folder were lost completely, and the application was then unable to download any new emails.

I reinstalled the "clean" inbox folder that Clamwin had created, and all is now good, except for having lost all emails that were originally in the inbox and all the text within those emails.
rcharris

Addendum:

Interestingly, after I replaced the inbox folder (which had previously been in quarantine) with the copy I had made of the "cleaned" inbox folder, the same problems showed as described above. But I had backed up that quarantined inbox folder as a different named folder and all the emails showed up just fine in Thunderbird under that backup name. My guess would be that Thunderbird treats its inbox folder differently than other folders, and to restore, it works to rename the quarantined folder anything but inbox, and then move the emails from that folder back into the inbox folder. Anyway, that's the way it worked for me.

Thanks for the attention, and best of luck.

Bob
budtse

Should be fixed in 0.88.3.1, which uses the --keep-mbox option of clamscan.
alch
Site Admin

budtse wrote:
Should be fixed in 0.88.3.1, which uses the --keep-mbox option of clamscan.

rather "introduces" --keep-mbox option into clamscan (sherpya coded it in our port)
rcharris

Thanks to all who replied to this post. I had some serious residual problems with my inbox after all this. I solved it by making a copy of the corrupted inbox (the emails were fully available in the copy), then I deleted the inbox folder and index (in Windows Explorer), closed Thunderbird, and a fully functional inbox was created on reactivating.

Look forward to the fix, and thanks for a great product.

Bob Harris
sherpya

is a txt file unix like mbox, you can open it with an editor and fix it
Clamwin deleted all text in my Thunderbird inbox