ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
A question for sherpya
faster

I'd like to ask sherpya a question. (Sorry I misspelled your name - I can only claim incipient senility.)

I, too, have 98SE. I've had a problem getting updates, too, but not the same way as others say they've had.

Many people mention Clamwin versions, but none are as high as v9.73. Do you know why that is? I thought it was the most recent version.

My version is 9.73. Some say some recent versions won't work with 98SE. But mine DID. For at least a month or two. It just stopped working after a while - it wouldn't update or scan anything. And I don't know if it was something inherent in a conflict between my OS or v.9.73, because I was also hit at the same time with a vicious malware that made my whole system get screwed up and took over a week to fix. In part, thanks to GuitarBob's excellent advice, it started downloading updates again. Now it doesn't. It does connect, though, which it didn't before. But that's ALL it does. I can still do scans with it.

Will the libclamav.dll download you offered work with both 98SE and v.9.73? You said to backup the install folder in Program Files/bin. But I don't HAVE an install file there - or anywhere in Clamwin. The only folder in bin is img. Does that mean something's wrong with my installation? Or does it mean that v.9.73 didn't have such a folder? In either case, what should I do?

When I try updating, it does go online, and does say it's starting to update, but that's it. It just keeps diddling, doing nothing. So last time I downloaded the daily update file, installed that, and called it a day. I copied the download to the folder with the same file name in it and overwrote the older one. So I think I'm up to date - I hope!

Is there something I can do to make my Clamwin really perform the updates? I'd be very grateful.

If my version is the cause of my troubles, where may I go to download the latest version that is known to be compatible with SE? I don't mind having to completely uninstall what I have and doing a whole new, clean install, complete with all definitions.

Thanks - and with a hi and a hug to GuitarBob.

Holly in Mexico

I'm about to plunge into Ubuntu. Can you tell me the optimal version of Clamwin for it?
WanderingUser

I'm having a problem that may be related, but I'm not sure. I use Windows XP, SP3, and at the moment, I'm trying to use ClamWin portable, 0.97.4 - and I can't update the virus definitions. Before I post the report, I'll add some background and a few things I went through before I posted here.

First, I've had similar problems, intermittently, with ClamWin. It wouldn't update for a while, then I upgraded and it worked, for a while. I wasn't quite desperate enough to try to run down the issue, so I used other options. Once it was working again, I forgot about it. Until earlier this year, when I set up a PortableApps suite, and could not update. For a while, I put off doing anything about it, because I assumed (hoped Smile ) the issue would fix itself sooner or later. It didn't.

So, today, I checked the forums, and found this thread. My issue is a bit different, as you'll see from the log. I have no other connectivity issues with any site I try to visit. I ran a TraceRoute from my router to database.clamav.net, and that worked fine. (A little slow, but no problems.) And I have checked several times, in several ways, and do not seem to have the DNSChanger malware this log would seem to suggest. (I will never say categorically I don't have a certain infection, simply because a negative answer is never proof. But I've visited the FBI site which tests for this, run several - other - scans, and so on.) So, the report, from my latest attempt a few minutes ago...

ClamAV update process started at Sat May 26 12:46:01 2012
WARNING: DNS Resolver: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
WARNING: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No address associated with hostname
WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Sat May 26 12:46:40 2012
WARNING: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No address associated with hostname
WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
ClamAV update process started at Sat May 26 12:47:17 2012
ERROR: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No address associated with hostname
ERROR: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in c:\docume~1\ray\locals~1\temp\tmpnw-2g- is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/support/mirror-problem for possible reasons.
--------------------------------------
Completed

Any thoughts? Edited to add: I was able to manually download the databases from the link provided in this thread, with absolutely no issues at all. I can't figure this one out. (And someone needs to do a scientific study, examining why the action of posting is the trigger for remembering at least one detail which you left out... Wink )
GuitarBob

So the problem is that you can't update using ClamWin Portable. The update report you supplied said there was no address associated with the "database.clamav.net" hostname. That name works okay in my desktop version of Clam AV. Perhaps you have a Domain Name Server (DNS) problem-at least when running ClamWin Portable.

You might check the Portable Apps site where you downloaded ClamWin Portable to see if you can find an answer there.

Regards,
Can't to update database
rezionline

Hi
I am unable to Download Virus Database Upldate. please help me. tanks.

Error:

ClamAV update process started at Tue Dec 24 07:24:32 2013

main.cvd is up to date (version: 55, sigs: 2424225, f-level: 60, builder: neo)

WARNING: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No IP address

WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-18014.cdiff from database.clamav.net

WARNING: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net

ClamAV update process started at Tue Dec 24 07:24:38 2013

WARNING: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net

ClamAV update process started at Tue Dec 24 07:24:43 2013

ERROR: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No IP address

ERROR: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No IP address

ERROR: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net

Giving up on database.clamav.net...

Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in c:\docume~1\admini~1\locals~1\temp\1\tmpk1v5kn is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/support/mirror-problem for possible reasons.

Completed

GuitarBob

If you have internet access and can update other software, try to reinstall ClamWin. Make sure in your ClamWin internet updates configuration tab that automatic database updates are enabled and that the update site is database.clamav.net. Then try a re-scan and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
rezionline

All the settings are correct.
Seem i does not to connect to the server by my IP, Even by the internet browser. While connected to the Internet.
GuitarBob

What computer system are you using? Have you just recently installed ClamWin? What other security software are you using with ClamWin? Can you update other software or contact the web site of other software? Also, do you have admin authority on your computer?

If you can contact other web sites, then perhaps something is preventing the ClamWin update. You may need to change your firewall to allow ClamWin to update. Do this if you need to.

If ClamWin was installed by an admin, I suggest you get into Windows Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly during boot up and select Safe Mode With Networking at the menu). Then try to update ClamWin. If you can update, then do a complete scan in Safe Mode with ClamWin. If you can not update in Safe Mode, while you are still in Safe Mode, download Malwarebytes free antimalware at https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ on the web--do not install it yet. Then restart the computer in normal mode and install Malwarebytes. Update Malwarebytes and do a Quick Scan with it.

Let us know how it goes.
rezionline

GuitarBob wrote:
What computer system are you using? Have you just recently installed ClamWin? What other security software are you using with ClamWin? Can you update other software or contact the web site of other software? Also, do you have admin authority on your computer?

If you can contact other web sites, then perhaps something is preventing the ClamWin update. You may need to change your firewall to allow ClamWin to update. Do this if you need to.

If ClamWin was installed by an admin, I suggest you get into Windows Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly during boot up and select Safe Mode With Networking at the menu). Then try to update ClamWin. If you can update, then do a complete scan in Safe Mode with ClamWin. If you can not update in Safe Mode, while you are still in Safe Mode, download Malwarebytes free antimalware at https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ on the web--do not install it yet. Then restart the computer in normal mode and install Malwarebytes. Update Malwarebytes and do a Quick Scan with it.

Let us know how it goes.

my windows can't open https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/
other sites are opened!
GuitarBob

It sounds to me like there could be malware installed on the computer since you can not update ClamWin or go to the Malwarebytes web site or enter Windows safe mode. See if you can use the Windows system restore to revert your system back to a time before this problem started. System restore can be accessed via Control Panel, System, System Protection, System Restore. You may have to look at older restore points to find a time before the problem started.

If system restore can not work for you, see if you can repair the system via your Windows installation CD/DVD if you have it. If you do not have the CD/DVD, I suggest you download Malwarebytes from a clean computer and put it on a CD/USB and try to install it and do a quick scan. If that does not work, see if you can download Dr. Web's Cure It from a clean computer and put it on a CD/USB and try to run it--I believe you do not have to install Cure It--just run it from the CD/USB.

If nothing has worked, make a bootable rescue CD from one of the AV companies and scan with it. Try the rescue CD from F-Secure's and then the one from Kaspersky or Dr. Web.

If the rescue CD does not work, see if you can restore your computer back to the original state when you bought it--some computers can do this via a special keyboard sequence.

If that does not work, you will have to reformat your hard drive and re-install Windows and your other programs. If you can not do that, then you should contact a professional who can help you clean the computer.

Good luck!

Regards,
Can't update virus definitions 0.96.2