ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
on-access real time scanning
esthon_wood

hello everyone, I was about to download clamwinAV but i stopped when i read that it does not offer on-access real time scanning. it said that i have to manually scan the file to detect a virus? does this mean that it cannot detect viruses or trojans while i am surfing the net? does clamwinAV offer any alternatives on this?

I would appreciate any information you could give me.

Thanks a lot Smile

Esthon
Monotype

Yep. That's right. You have to manually scan files. It won't scan them automatically on access.

On-access scanning functionality is being worked on, but there are no releasedate for it yet, though.
esthon_wood

the scanning of files manually is fine with me. what bothers me is the viruses that could enter my computer while surfing the net. does that mean that i need to scan for viruses and trojans everytime after i surfed the internet? does clamwin also detect spyware and trojans?

thanks,

esthon
Monotype

esthon_wood wrote:
the scanning of files manually is fine with me. what bothers me is the viruses that could enter my computer while surfing the net. does that mean that i need to scan for viruses and trojans everytime after i surfed the internet? does clamwin also detect spyware and trojans?

thanks,

esthon

If you do the following things you should be safe enough;

1. Use Microsoft Update to install all security updates. Do this ~ 1 time a week or so.

2. Keep your other software (especially your browser) up to date.

3. Use a firewall. For example Windows Firewall. (Which is integrated in Win XP SP2.)

4. Use common sense, that is, don't download executable software from unknown websites. Also avoid downloading screensavers, since they are very unnecessary nowadays (2006) and they can also be infected by viruses.

---

The only real worry left is zero-day-exploits, but you'll avoid most of them too simply by not surfing suspicious websites.. (Like sites with CP, warez, e.t.c.).
budtse

If you use the Firefox browser, you can also automatically scan files that you download using a firefox plugin. See this thread for comments: http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?p=1366&

REMEMBER Alch's COMMENT : Do not use Run, but always click Save first (so it will be scanned), and then open the file.

budtse
esthon_wood

thanks you guys, you are great help. my norton AV will be expiring in 30 days and i dont want to continue their service mainly because i can't afford it. i will look into the firefox plugin.

thanks again!
esthon
sherpya

sorry currently it's me the main slowdown of the onscan stuff but I've not dropped it I'm just more busy than expected Smile
harry26

Hi,

There is no other option to scan viruses It will be done through manually. It is irritating while internet surfing but it will give a boost to your system & if it is creating a problem then just replace your antivirus which one is better you know very well. but ClamWin antivirus is better if you take my opinion.
Hope you satisfied with me.
Thanks...
KingerKingKong

harry26 wrote:
Hi,

There is no other option to scan viruses It will be done through manually. It is irritating while internet surfing but it will give a boost to your system & if it is creating a problem then just replace your antivirus which one is better you know very well. but ClamWin antivirus is better if you take my opinion.
Hope you satisfied with me.
Thanks...

Thanks for clearing all this for me, I'm new with ClamWin. I will do my antivirus scan every time I surf the Web, and I hope ClamWin ill do its best.
GuitarBob

ClamWin is an on-demand scanner. It does not scan in real-time when a file is put on your computer. If you are not using an-on-demand scanner, you may get a virus when surfing the web. ClamWin can only scan when you tell it to or when it is scheduled to scan. In either case, a ClamWin scan will probably be too late to catch/quarantine any virus. The ClamWin developers recommend that you use ClamWin only as backup scanner to a real-time AV.

ClamWin uses the Clam AV scan engine and virus signatures. Clam AV is designed for scanning email files on Linux email servers. These servers do not have to worry about scanning files on the web that are dropped to your computer, so you need a real-time AV. Microsoft Windows Defender (Security Essentials on older computers) is a pretty good real-time AV. It is free, and it is being improved all the time. There are other AVs --both free and paid that are also good.

Regards,
KingerKingKong

GuitarBob wrote:
ClamWin is an on-demand scanner. It does not scan in real-time when a file is put on your computer. If you are not using an-on-demand scanner, you may get a virus when surfing the web. ClamWin can only scan when you tell it to or when it is scheduled to scan. In either case, a ClamWin scan will probably be too late to catch/quarantine any virus. The ClamWin developers recommend that you use ClamWin only as backup scanner to a real-time AV.

ClamWin uses the Clam AV scan engine and virus signatures. Clam AV is designed for scanning email files on Linux email servers. These servers do not have to worry about scanning files on the web that are dropped to your computer, so you need a real-time AV. Microsoft Windows Defender (Security Essentials on older computers) is a pretty good real-time AV. It is free, and it is being improved all the time. There are other AVs --both free and paid that are also good.

Regards,

Thanks, I'm just using Windows Defender so I hope launching ClamWin additionally will help me to protect completely my PC. Thanks for your detailed answer once again!
avasthisamar

Good explaination and it really helped me by understanding the different aspects of real time scanning..
rina2727

actually You also have options to automatically remove the threats found during scanning and to update virus database before scanning
https://bluestacks.vip/ Bluestacks https://kodi.software/ Kodi https://luckypatcher.pro/ Lucky Patcher