ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Can't update virus definitions 0.96.2
Beachcomber

I accepted an option to update Clamwin version 0.96.1 to 0.96.2 but when I then tried to update the virus definitions I kept getting an error message to the effect that the database could not be updated although I could download the file from the web site and install it manually.

I then totally uninstalled Clamwin and downloaded the complete 0.96.2 installation file but got the same problem.

Luckily I still have the installation file for 0.96.1 on my computer so I uninstalled 0.96.2 and reinstalled 0.96.1 and the update works as normal.

I am using an old computer with Windows 98SE. The system requirements for 0.96.2 indicate that it should work with Windows 98 but this would appear not to be the case, at least, not for me.

Should I stick with 0.96.1 or is there something I can do to make 0.96.2 work properly?
GuitarBob

ClamWin is supposed to work on Win 98. I suggest you stick with version .96.1 for right now, however, until you hear something--maybe from Alch/Sherpya. Check back here daily. I have a feeling that it was not tested much (if any) on Win 98 before it was released. Seems like it was only in beta for about three days, which is not as long as usual.

Regards,
Beachcomber

OK, many thanks. I'm glad I kept the 0.96.1 installation file now!
Re: Can't update virus definitions 0.96.2
hubbabubba

Beachcomber wrote:
I accepted an option to update Clamwin version 0.96.1 to 0.96.2 but when I then tried to update the virus definitions I kept getting an error message to the effect that the database could not be updated although I could download the file from the web site and install it manually.

I then totally uninstalled Clamwin and downloaded the complete 0.96.2 installation file but got the same problem.

Luckily I still have the installation file for 0.96.1 on my computer so I uninstalled 0.96.2 and reinstalled 0.96.1 and the update works as normal.

I am using an old computer with Windows 98SE. The system requirements for 0.96.2 indicate that it should work with Windows 98 but this would appear not to be the case, at least, not for me.

Should I stick with 0.96.1 or is there something I can do to make 0.96.2 work properly?

Hello!
Basically the same thing here. I'm also using W98SE. If it is of any use; I also have Clam Sentinel and it was asking, if memory serves me right, for LIBCLAMAV.DLL. I installed and uninstalled twice, no joy. Back to 0.96.1 for now.

I was to download the whole new version but Beachcomber's comments stopped me... Crying or Very sad
sherpya

I'm aware of a bug that affects freshclam on systems without llvm jit bytecode (specifically win9x)
There will be an official mini update tomorrow, if needed I can provide an updated file to replace later today.

Let me known
Beachcomber

Thanks for sorting this out.

So if I click on the 'Check latest version' option on the Clamwin system tray icon tomorrow (Friday) I should get the update complete with the mini update. I am in Europe so perhaps I should wait until Saturday!
sherpya

backup libclamav.dll in clamwin\bin install directory
and replace with http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/files/libclamav.dll http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/files/libclamav.dll

take care to put back the backup before the update of tomorrow

btw, I'm in Italy I've your timezone Smile

please let me now if it works
Beachcomber

Yes, that works, fantastic. Many thanks for your prompt assistance.

Sorry, didn't note your location. I assumed you were in the USA.
hubbabubba

Grazie sherpya!

Your libclamav.dll did the trick. I was able to update the virus definition (before, it would not launch), to scan the memory (before, it would give me an error message and an empty report), and Clam Sentinel is no longer asking for that DLL.

I made a backup of the "old" libclamav.dll as per your instructions but, out of curiosity, why is it necessary?

In any case; merci, thanks, grazie, gracias, danke! Exclamation Very Happy
sherpya

the next incremental upgrade will only work with the version shipped with 0.96.2 setup,
so you need to revert the dll before next upgrade or your need to download the full setup
Beachcomber

Can I just double check that before the next upgrade of the program (as opposed to the update of the database) that the 'old' libclamav.dll needs to be reinstated in order that the upgrade will work but that afterwards it will need to be made 'old' again and replaced with the 'new' one or will the next upgrade take account of this obviating the need to replace it with the new one? I you see what I mean!

Also, is it still necessary to run tomorrow's official mini update. I have to admit to having become a little confused. Confused
south pacific

Updated the Clam Win Antivirus today to latest version and performed a scan on my aging though still working well Pentium III computer which is running Win98SE OS.

This is what I got:

Scan Started Thu Aug 19 07:10:56 2010
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: Can't open file c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll: Permission denied
WARNING: Can't open file c:\WIN386.SWP: Permission denied

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 813870
Engine version: 0.96.2
Scanned directories: 4432
Scanned files: 38791
Infected files: 0
Data scanned: 6768.66 MB
Data read: 13165.21 MB (ratio 0.51:1)
Time: 12445.120 sec (207 m 25 s)

--------------------------------------
Completed

So, unable to open two file folders unfortunately.

I have an old version of Symantec Norton Antivirus 2002 installed on the computer and after a recent scan it found several viruses, a trojan and a worm but was unable to delete them only quarantine.

The problem with the online scans suggested here previously is that it seems that none of them work with Win98, only Windows 2000 and above. Any suggestions on how to get rid of my quarantined viruses???

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
hubbabubba

Hello!

Upon reception of the notice, I downloaded clamwin-update-0.96.2-0.96.2.1.exe.

As per sherpya instructions, I placed back the "old" libclamav.dll.

As soon as the update was performed, all the problems came back; Clam Sentinel would not recognize the DLL, no virus definition update possible... Crying or Very sad

I re-installed the "special" libclamav.dll and everything went back to normal.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
sherpya

try uninstall then reinstall full setup
there are still some issues upgrading with clamsentinel active that I still need to fix (lack of time)
Fred

sherpya wrote:
try uninstall then reinstall full setup
there are still some issues upgrading with clamsentinel active that I still need to fix (lack of time)

First off, I must say how much I appreciate the work you put into this project. As another Win98 user, I would be lost without it and Clam Sentinel.

Alas, I too have been caught with this update problem, and confirm that the update from 96.2 to 96.2.1 didn't work. Also short of time, I have gone back to what I know works - 0.96.1. I think I'll stick at that for a while longer.

Fred
Can't update virus definitions 0.96.2