ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
ClamWin and other commercial products
johnejo

Hello, I'm new to this forum and ClamWin. In fact, I'm new to ClamAV which I just installed on my ipcop machine. The question I have is, especially since ClamWin is not currently an 'on-access' scanner, can it coexist with other commercial anti-virus products? I'm currently running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and don't want to stop using while the registration is still valid, but I would like to use ClamWin if I can. Any thoughts?

Thank you.
GuitarBob

Yes, ClamWin makes a good backup to commercial scanners. Because it does not scan real-time, there is no conflict there. However, you should probably exclude ClamWins's database folder, quarantine folder, and it's temp folder from Kaspersky's scanning, if possible--sometimes the real-time AVs have similar signatures and will trigger a detection in these folders.

The Clam Sentinel Project (not afiliated with Clam AV or ClamWin) has a good real-time "lite" front end to ClamWin. It is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamsentinel on the web.

Regards,
johnejo

Thank you very much. I''l take a look at the Clam Sentinel project. Again, thank you.
ClamWin and other commercial products