ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
CVD extraction failure error
Merlin

Hi,

I have a BartPE disk and ClamWin Portable on a USB stick. No matter what I try I keep getting the error CVD Extraction Failure when trying to scan. I have read in the forums that this is usually due to not enough disk space. The USB stick is 1GB and virtually empty. I have also booted with BartPE and then copied ClamWin Portable to one of the hard drives (which has lots of space). In all cases I get the same error.

In running ClamWin the first time it does download the latest definition files and does not report any errors. In case the problem was related to the downloading I tried starting ClamWin Portable on another machine and it worked fine. I then copied this version to the USB stick and tried it after booting with BartPE... same error.

I'm open to suggestions on how to solve this. Thanks.
Re: CVD extraction failure error
Merlin

So I found a solution to my problem...

Turns out that ClamWin Portable uses the Temp folder as defined by the system environment variable TEMP. In the case of BartPE the TEMP var was set to point at the RAM drive which was 31MB. ClamWin Portable apparently requires more than 31MB to open the CVD files.

The work around was to open a command prompt, set the temp variable to point at a directory on the local disk and launch ClamWinPortable.exe from the command line.

I first tried to set the TEMP var to point at a USB key that I had installed but I found that part way through the scan the USB key drive would "disappear." I suspect a problem with the USB drives with BartPE and not with ClamWin.

It would be a nice feature to be able to specify in ClamWin Portable what temp directory to use.
GuitarBob

There used to be a separate site/pages for ClamWin Portable. I believe it is on SourceForge. Try to submit your suggestion there.

Regards,
CVD Error
pcpatrol

I use UBCD4WIN and I was having the same CVD Error. Thins is how I resolved quickly...
While booted into UBCD click start and go to run and type %temp%
This will bring you to B:\
Move e a few large files that you dont need at the moment. I moved the AV7 folder and exe. That cleared about 50MB for me
After performing these steps I was able to run ClamWin portable successfully Smile
GuitarBob

I have never had much success with either BART or UBD4W. Seems like they take you to a certain point, and then you have to become a hacker!

Regards,
CVD extraction failure error