ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Outlook 2003 Stalls on some E-mails
trwhalen

I've noticed my Outlook 2003 stalls on some e-mails. Seems to be sender specific. If a business sends me an e-mail that causes this behavior, all their e-mails cause this behavior. Causes Outlook to be unavailable for several minutes, and causes all other applications to be VERY slow. I've noticed in Task Mgr that the iexplore.exe is bumping up to 20% CPU when nothing else is running. Can you provide any clues as to why? Any way to correct this behavior? I really like your product, but this anomoly seems to be happening more often. I just upgraded to ClamWin 0.88.7. and am running Outlook 2003 11.6359 SP1. I have samples, but don't see how I can upload it here. Any help would be appreciated Smile
budtse

First, you need to be sure this is a ClamWin problem.

You say that iexplore uses up CPU power. IE is not related to or used by ClamWin in any way.
If it is ClamWin that is causing you troubles, you should look for OlAddin.exe and ClamScan.exe in the task manager, and see how they behave.

Also, ClamWin shouldn't create any performance issues on small, text-only mails. Only emails with attachment could cause trouble, so we need to know here if the emails you talk about contain attachments, and how big they are.
trwhalen

Thanks for your response. I would say it is ClamWIn because when I uninstalled ClamWin, the same emails did not give me any trouble. One particular email has no attachment, but lots of HTML content and lots of links to other websites. The clamscan.exe bounces between 10 and 50 % for the entire time the stall occurs, then goes back to zero when the page finally renders.
bigjango

Hello I have exactly the same problem (also with HTML Mails, no attachment): it is OlAddin.exe and ClamScan.exe in the task manager that causes this problem :
ClamScan.exe alternates its PID up to 20 times and CPU is at 100%
bigjango

...I think ClamScan.exe checks each picture in a separate task... is it possible to disable this function?
trwhalen

I would agree with that. This particular email that takes so long to display has about 15 html pictures that are links to other urls. Wondering why external links are being scanned, is it necessary, can it be disabled?
trwhalen

Is this thread a dead issue? Am I missing a step to trigger a notification to the moderator?
alch
Site Admin

this is a known issue which will be addressed in ClamWin v1 where clamscan.exe will be replaced by a Windows service
Another dude withe same problem - suggestions and questions
janboen

Hello,

I would just like to remark that I have exactly the same problem. This behavior is the actual reason why I registered with this forum.
Any time scales for the release of v1.0.

Have a look at how AVG handles this.
From what I understand they scan incoming messages during reception of the mails which makes the receiving a bit slower (who cares, runs in background) and then you can open them quickly.
Another idea would be to flag a mail once it has been checked so tht it doesn't get scanned repeatedly.

Cheers,

Jan
budtse

The rationale behind checking an email everytime it is opened is that the virus database might be updated and can now find viruses that it didn't know the first time the email was scanned. We already discussed flagging emails that are scanned (e.g. attach the engine version to it), but Outlook doesn't seem to allow this in an easy way.

AVG uses a service, like ClamWin 1.0 will.

There is a point though that the outlook addin has a serious performance issue.

If i understand it right (i didn't have a look at the code yet), the attachments are saved to temporary files and then scanned, each file with a separate clamscan process.
Maybe it is possible to save them to a temporary directory and scan the directory with a single process ? That way the overhead of loading and freeing the clamav engine would be limited to a single time per email.
Just adding my support to this thread
ImSir2U

Yes I find the same thing, any emails with either attachments or HTML content stall the machine until they are through being tested and it happens every time the email is highlighted and you have the "Preview" window open in Outlook. The bigger the email the longer it takes to return control to the machine and, as I am in the habit of handling lots of large emails, it makes it nearly impossible to function and I end up saving the attachments to a directory and then removing them from the email so I can use my email system satisfactorily. I'm very keen to know when this issue will be resolved...
aparoulek

I can't work with ClamWin if I can't work in Outlook. Every email that I click on causes ClamWin to start scanning and everything in outlook stops, it is taking forever to get anything done. I am experiencing the exact same problem that others are talking about. What should I do?
Known Issue for Current Version of Clamwin
trwhalen

As the site admin responded above, this is a known behaviour in the current version of Clamwin that will be fixed in ver 1.0.
Was this ever fixed for OLAddin.exe?
msspurlock

Because I'm having problems with it.
Windows 2000, Outlook 2003, when I try to send a link from within IE, it says something is accessing the OST file and fails. This didn't happen with eTrust and it's just happened since yesterday, when I uninstalled that resource hog to try Clamwin.
It also doesn't happen with Thunderbird on a Win 2003 machine, where I've been using Clamwin for a year and love it.
Outlook 2003 Stalls on some E-mails