ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Command line options request
ggeorgiev

Hey All,

I wanted to check if it will be possible to see a list of the command line options that are availble when installing Clam AV. I saw the silent install FAQ, but would like to see what other options are available that i might use for upcoming deployment. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
budtse

I guess if you are interested in automating scans, the clamscan and freshclam parameters are the most important. Clamwin is not really fit for non-gui use (except with the scheduler).

You can see the parameters by typing "clamscan.exe --help" on a command line. Same for freshclam.
ggeorgiev

budtse wrote:
I guess if you are interested in automating scans, the clamscan and freshclam parameters are the most important. Clamwin is not really fit for non-gui use (except with the scheduler).

You can see the parameters by typing "clamscan.exe --help" on a command line. Same for freshclam.

Hey Budtse,

I was actually more interested in the installation options of the .exe file and what they are, i.e. a list of the options when you install the program via a command line. What i need is a way to install the program without Outlook support via the command line (since the default is to install ClamWin with that option).

The reason i need that at installation time as a command line option is to script/automate the installation to a number of machines, as opposed to running a single user install at each PC.

In short, I am looking for a listing of the options on install for the .exe file and particularly interested in the 'No Outlook' option if there is one. Hope this clarifies my question a bit.

PS: as far as i read on the forum, the only way to have ClamWin without the Outlook option is to specify this at install, so that is why i was looking for the option listing. Any other options will be welcome to help in customizing the installation for multiple machines.
Still looking for a solution
ggeorgiev

Hey guys, I am still looking for the solution of the question i posted. If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!
budtse

Please be patient, we are not monitoring the forums all day.

The only parameters that can be used with the installer, are the standard InnoSetup installer options. I suggest you download Inno Setup from http://www.jrsoftware.org http://www.jrsoftware.org and check out the help file. I saw there is a /COMPONENTS option, you should be able to use that to specify the needed components (withouth the outlook addin).

hope this helps,
budtse
hankn

budtse wrote:

Can someone explain the difference between clamscan and freshscan? I have looked at the "--help" info but I am
still at a lose to see what the difference is between the two.

Thanks.
budtse

ClamScan is the virus scanner, while freshclam is just an utility to update the virus definition database.
ClamWin command line options
GuitarBob

If you are still looking for ClamWin command line options, you might look at the link below. It's not "official," and I don't know where the poster got it.

http://forum.softwareblaze.com/viewtopic.php?t=127

Regards
budtse

These are the clamscan.exe parameters, the same list as you get when typing
Code:
clamscan.exe -h
ClamWin command line (to use with cmd.exe)
eladkarako

under "C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin"
you will find clamscan.exe which is the main exe file for preforming a computer scan for viruses.
(also freshclam.exe can be used, I will explain later).

open a command line console (start->run-> type cmd and press enter, now browse to "C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin").
after you are in the path of clamwin,

use the following switches with clamscan.exe to create your own scan process, also you may download the program
4tray minimizer, that adds a "minimize to tray" command in every window's top, that way you can create a shortcut,
and after run it, you can make it an icon near the system clock place.

switches:
clamscan.exe
Code:

Clam AntiVirus Scanner 0.94.1
      (C) 2002 - 2007 ClamAV Team - http://www.clamav.net/team

--help                -h             Print this help screen
    --version             -V             Print version number
    --verbose             -v             Be verbose
    --debug                              Enable libclamav's debug messages
    --quiet                              Only output error messages
    --stdout                             Write to stdout instead of stderr
    --no-summary                         Disable summary at end of scanning
    --infected            -i             Only print infected files
    --bell                               Sound bell on virus detection
    --show-progress                      Print progress indicator for each file

--tempdir=DIRECTORY                  Create temporary files in DIRECTORY
    --leave-temps                        Do not remove temporary files
    --database=FILE/DIR   -d FILE/DIR    Load virus database from FILE or load
                                         all .cvd and .db[2] files from DIR
    --log=FILE            -l FILE        Save scan report to FILE
    --recursive           -r             Scan subdirectories recursively
    --remove                             Remove infected files. Be careful!
    --move=DIRECTORY                     Move infected files into DIRECTORY
    --copy=DIRECTORY                     Copy infected files into DIRECTORY
    --exclude=PATT                       Don't scan file names containing PATT
    --exclude-dir=PATT                   Don't scan directories containing PATT
    --include=PATT                       Only scan file names containing PATT
    --include-dir=PATT                   Only scan directories containing PATT

--detect-pua                         Detect Possibly Unwanted Applications
    --exclude-pua=CAT                    Skip PUA sigs of category CAT
    --include-pua=CAT                    Load PUA sigs of category CAT
    --detect-structured                  Detect structured data (SSN, Credit Card)
    --structured-ssn-format=X            SSN format (0=normal,1=stripped,2=both)
    --structured-ssn-count=N             Min SSN count to generate a detect
    --structured-cc-count=N              Min CC count to generate a detect
    --no-mail                            Disable mail file support
    --keep-mbox                          Don't delete/rename mailboxes
    --memory                             Scan loaded executable modules
    --kill                -k             Kill/Unload infected loaded modules
    --unload              -u             Unload infected modules from processes
    --no-phishing-sigs                   Disable signature-based phishing detection
    --no-phishing-scan-urls              Disable url-based phishing detection
    --heuristic-scan-precedence          Stop scanning as soon as a heuristic match is found
    --phishing-ssl                       Always block SSL mismatches in URLs (phishing module)
    --phishing-cloak                     Always block cloaked URLs (phishing module)
    --no-algorithmic                     Disable algorithmic detection
    --no-pe                              Disable PE analysis
    --no-elf                             Disable ELF support
    --no-ole2                            Disable OLE2 support
    --no-pdf                             Disable PDF support
    --no-html                            Disable HTML support
    --no-archive                         Disable archive support
    --detect-broken                      Try to detect broken executable files
    --block-encrypted                    Block encrypted archives
    --mail-follow-urls                   Download and scan URLs

--max-filesize=#n                    Files larger than this will be skipped and assumed clean
    --max-scansize=#n                    The maximum amount of data to scan for each container file (*)
    --max-files=#n                       The maximum number of files to scan for each container file (*)
    --max-recursion=#n                   Maximum archive recursion level for container file (*)
    --max-dir-recursion=#n               Maximum directory recursion level

(*) Certain files (e.g. documents, archives, etc.) may in turn contain other
    files inside. The above options ensure safe processing of this kind of data.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

switches:
freshclam.exe
probably checks for updates or just update state, can throw information out to console (can be catched using scripts or
any program like c/c++/c# that could hold the output (stdout) ).
Code:

Clam AntiVirus: freshclam  0.94.1
    (C) 2002 - 2007 ClamAV Team - http://www.clamav.net/team

--help               -h              show help
    --version            -V              print version number and exit
    --verbose            -v              be verbose
    --debug                              enable debug messages
    --quiet                              only output error messages
    --no-warnings                        don't print and log warnings
    --stdout                             write to stdout instead of stderr

--config-file=FILE                   read configuration from FILE.
    --log=FILE           -l FILE         log into FILE
    --no-dns                             force old non-DNS verification method
    --checks=#n          -c #n           number of checks per day, 1 <= n <= 50
    --datadir=DIRECTORY                  download new databases into DIRECTORY
    --daemon-notify[=/path/clamd.conf]   send RELOAD command to clamd
    --local-address=IP   -a IP           bind to IP for HTTP downloads
    --on-update-execute=COMMAND          execute COMMAND after successful update
    --on-error-execute=COMMAND           execute COMMAND if errors occured
    --on-outdated-execute=COMMAND        execute COMMAND when software is outdated
    --list-mirrors                       print mirrors from mirrors.dat
    --submit-stats[=/path/clamd.conf]    only submit detection statistics

Windows Service:
    --daemon                             Start in Service mode (internal)
    --install                            Install Windows Service
    --uninstall                          Uninstall Windows Service

Elad Karako.
command line options for installation
micah

I know this is an old thread, but I found what the poster was looking for--I was looking for the same thing. Budtse pointed in the right direction. I found it on the inno website:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/index.php?topic=setupcmdline

I used the /log="" option to save install logs with my automated network installation (see my user guide thread). It works, so I assume the others will too.

Here's the details:

Quote:
Setup Command Line Parameters
The Setup program accepts optional command line parameters. These can be useful to system administrators, and to other programs calling the Setup program.

/SP-
Disables the This will install... Do you wish to continue? prompt at the beginning of Setup. Of course, this will have no effect if the DisableStartupPrompt [Setup] section directive was set to yes.

/SILENT, /VERYSILENT
Instructs Setup to be silent or very silent. When Setup is silent the wizard and the background window are not displayed but the installation progress window is. When a setup is very silent this installation progress window is not displayed. Everything else is normal so for example error messages during installation are displayed and the startup prompt is (if you haven't disabled it with DisableStartupPrompt or the '/SP-' command line option explained above).

If a restart is necessary and the '/NORESTART' command isn't used (see below) and Setup is silent, it will display a Reboot now? message box. If it's very silent it will reboot without asking.

/SUPPRESSMSGBOXES
Instructs Setup to suppress message boxes. Only has an effect when combined with '/SILENT' and '/VERYSILENT'.

The default response in situations where there's a choice is:

Yes in a 'Keep newer file?' situation.
No in a 'File exists, confirm overwrite.' situation.
Abort in Abort/Retry situations.
Cancel in Retry/Cancel situations.
Yes (=continue) in a DiskSpaceWarning/DirExists/DirDoesntExist/NoUninstallWarning/ExitSetupMessage/ConfirmUninstall situation.
Yes (=restart) in a FinishedRestartMessage/UninstalledAndNeedsRestart situation.
5 message boxes are not suppressible:

The About Setup message box.
The Exit Setup? message box.
The FileNotInDir2 message box displayed when Setup requires a new disk to be inserted and the disk was not found.
Any (error) message box displayed before Setup (or Uninstall) could read the command line parameters.
Any message box displayed by [Code] support function MsgBox.
/LOG
Causes Setup to create a log file in the user's TEMP directory detailing file installation and [Run] actions taken during the installation process. This can be a helpful debugging aid. For example, if you suspect a file isn't being replaced when you believe it should be (or vice versa), the log file will tell you if the file was really skipped, and why.

The log file is created with a unique name based on the current date. (It will not overwrite or append to existing files.)

The information contained in the log file is technical in nature and therefore not intended to be understandable by end users. Nor is it designed to be machine-parseable; the format of the file is subject to change without notice.

/LOG="filename"
Same as /LOG, except it allows you to specify a fixed path/filename to use for the log file. If a file with the specified name already exists it will be overwritten. If the file cannot be created, Setup will abort with an error message.

/NOCANCEL
Prevents the user from cancelling during the installation process, by disabling the Cancel button and ignoring clicks on the close button. Useful along with '/SILENT' or '/VERYSILENT'.

/NORESTART
Instructs Setup not to reboot even if it's necessary.

/RESTARTEXITCODE=exit code
Specifies the custom exit code that Setup is to return when a restart is needed. Useful along with '/NORESTART'. Also see Setup Exit Codes.

/LOADINF="filename"
Instructs Setup to load the settings from the specified file after having checked the command line. This file can be prepared using the '/SAVEINF=' command as explained below.

Don't forget to use quotes if the filename contains spaces.

/SAVEINF="filename"
Instructs Setup to save installation settings to the specified file.

Don't forget to use quotes if the filename contains spaces.

/LANG=language
Specifies the language to use. language specifies the internal name of the language as specified in a [Languages] section entry.

When a valid /LANG parameter is used, the Select Language dialog will be suppressed.

/DIR="x:\dirname"
Overrides the default directory name displayed on the Select Destination Location wizard page. A fully qualified pathname must be specified.

/GROUP="folder name"
Overrides the default folder name displayed on the Select Start Menu Folder wizard page. If the [Setup] section directive DisableProgramGroupPage was set to yes, this command line parameter is ignored.

/NOICONS
Instructs Setup to initially check the Don't create a Start Menu folder check box on the Select Start Menu Folder wizard page.

/TYPE=type name
Overrides the default setup type.

If the specified type exists and isn't a custom type, then any /COMPONENTS parameter will be ignored.

/COMPONENTS="comma separated list of component names"
Overrides the default component settings. Using this command line parameter causes Setup to automatically select a custom type. If no custom type is defined, this parameter is ignored.

Only the specified components will be selected; the rest will be deselected.

If a component name is prefixed with a "*" character, any child components will be selected as well (except for those that include the dontinheritcheck flag). If a component name is prefixed with a "!" character, the component will be deselected.

This parameter does not change the state of components that include the fixed flag.

Example:
Deselect all components, then select the "help" and "plugins" components:
/COMPONENTS="help,plugins"
Example:
Deselect all components, then select a parent component and all of its children with the exception of one:
/COMPONENTS="*parent,!parent\child"
/TASKS="comma separated list of task names"
Specifies a list of tasks that should be initially selected.

Only the specified tasks will be selected; the rest will be deselected. Use the /MERGETASKS parameter instead if you want to keep the default set of tasks and only select/deselect some of them.

If a task name is prefixed with a "*" character, any child tasks will be selected as well (except for those that include the dontinheritcheck flag). If a task name is prefixed with a "!" character, the task will be deselected.

Example:
Deselect all tasks, then select the "desktopicon" and "fileassoc" tasks:
/TASKS="desktopicon,fileassoc"
Example:
Deselect all tasks, then select a parent task and all of its children with the exception of one:
/TASKS="*parent,!parent\child"
/MERGETASKS="comma separated list of task names"
Like the /TASKS parameter, except the specified tasks will be merged with the set of tasks that would have otherwise been selected by default.

If UsePreviousTasks is set to yes, the specified tasks will be selected/deselected after any previous tasks are restored.

Example:
Keep the default set of selected tasks, but additionally select the "desktopicon" and "fileassoc" tasks:
/MERGETASKS="desktopicon,fileassoc"
Example:
Keep the default set of selected tasks, but deselect the "desktopicon" task:
/MERGETASKS="!desktopicon"
/PASSWORD=password
Specifies the password to use. If the [Setup] section directive Password was not set, this command line parameter is ignored.

When an invalid password is specified, this command line parameter is also ignored.
ihanna

hankn wrote:
budtse wrote:

Can someone explain the difference between clamscan and freshscan? I will let you know if I find anything on this http://www.losangelescaraccidentattorney.co website.Anyway, I have seen at the "help" but I am still not sure how to see what the difference is between the two.

Thanks.

I am also confused if what are their differences, I've read other comments but still can't decipher it, can someone please elaborate it? thanks in advance. I appreciate your response. Smile

Last edited by ihanna on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:56 am; edited 2 times in total
GuitarBob

There is no "freshscan" command. You probably mean "freshclam" that is the update command. Clamscan is the scan command.
Budtse was right--ClamWin really shouldn't be used from the command line. There can be too many headaches. There has been little command line support since ClamWin .94. There was some sort of big difference then.

Regards,
sarkozitrans

extreme big help guys!
thanks for the detailed commands.
Command line options request