ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
CVD, CLD, DB folder
cubbettee

Hello all again,

I have run into an interesting thing. I know the automatic updates for clamwin are not working so I had downloaded from the clamwin website both the main and daily cvd. I have a few Questions:
1. How often does that Main and Daily get updated since we can not get incremental updates any longer?
2. Is there a converter to change the CVD to CLD? I am able to scan the computer if it is windows 7, windows xp, windows 2000, but in windows 98 it is calling it a malformed database so I think it needs to be cld. The windows 2000 is on a dual boot separate hard drive from windows 98.
With the automatic updates still on all machine a folder is generated that has nothing in it and I do see they bytecode and mirrors do have a new time stamp
3. From ClamAV, I did select Immunet from my Windows 7 computer and it does slow it down as it uses all cpu and memory for bursts of time. It also tries to quarantine sometimes successfully and sometimes not lots of the clam files.
4. Am I able to use from clamav.net, alternate versions, windows, windows packages, that 103.2.exe under win 64 or the portable under the win 32?
5. For the first time I got the error 1020 about the cloud fir blocking saying it was a firewall issue - I even closed the firewall to no avail, and while on xp tried with Opera and Firefox. Then today on windows 7, going to the clam win site to get the CVD- I was able to download it via getting the pop u box but webpage then stopped at checking browser before accessing (Opera browser) While on the XP I never could download and was at access denied 1020
6. Was something compromised on ClamWin servers?
GuitarBob

When I quit sigmaking for Clam AV on behalf of ClamWin in 2014, Clam AV was getting out updates three or 4 times a day. Most signatures in the updates were automated from a Virus Total feed. There was some manual signature preparation but not much--especially after I left. Considering that Cisco doesn't really want to devote resources to Clam AV, I don't think this has changed much since then.

I am not aware of any CVD to CLD converter.

Every time I try to use Immuney on my Win 10 computer, I wind up being disgusted with it and uninstall it!

I do not know for sure if you are able to use alternates from Clam AV, but I think not. The Portable ClamWin version is even more restrictive than ClamWin.

The server for ClamWin (whatever/wherever it is) is probably not attended to (for ClamWin), so I guess it could be compromised.

The upshot of all this is that using ClamWin is a problem, and I suggest that you consider using another AV. The Portable ClamWin version seems to be the easiest/best to use, if you must, but it is very limited.

Regards
cubbettee

Thank you once again for your insight--tis greatly appreciated
Nothing really is even compatible with xp anymore--let alone 98
There was an old setup onetime scanner eset file form 2014 on a xp machine, surprisingly it still worked--do not know how many times it was run. The latest software says 30 trial and I don't want to fiddle with trials since you never know if they will or will not stop working and not to sure if any of the workarounds would comprise a machine
cubbettee

Intereing Guitar Bob with the Immunet - in the db gobbly gook folders that clam generates, it is creating a sub folder with the ldb.
Wonder if there is some way to merge them all together under a different format to use as a master virus defintions for either of the computers
GuitarBob

I think probably not. When I was at Clam AV, they had problems compacting the main/daily database, and they put it off as long as they could. You would be doing something similar. It evidently was not straightforward.

Regards,
cubbettee

HEH with ll my posts i should be peaking your interest in creating your own AV
GuitarBob

I have an interest in developing an AV, but I don't have the coding background, and I am reluctant to take the time to acquire it. We developed some pretty good detection using common sense with Clam Sentinel, but it only lasted for a year or so until the malware creators caught on to it. It's a constant battle, but I think a little AI could help--if you update it several times a year.

Regards,
cubbettee

Ah so the fires still burn a bit--who know who you may come across that may be able to help you or go into an entirely new path
GuitarBob

I guess it gets in your blood. The original Clam AV developers left Clam after Cisco acquired Sourcefire, who had bought Clam AV from them. As soon as the non-compete agreement expired, they developed an anti-ransomware program that they sold to an AV company.

Regards,
cubbettee

I am expecting great things from you GuitarBob
GuitarBob

I don't know if this is a great thing or not, but the ClamWin developer has announced that they are working on a new version that will enable signature updates. He expects to release it the first week in May (that's next week). See the note about the new version at the top of the main ClamWin web page. I hope they include some other needed improvements, but that is probably all they will give us.

Regards,
cubbettee

LOL on your indeciseveness
On all my Windows OS, It has been trying as I see the time stamp fro the mirrors file and bytecode changing.
I jut got off the phone with Panda security--they said there AV is compatible with win 2000 and newer.
Of course so was Avast but that made two different XP box grind to a standstill.
I am running today and it is not interfering with the Immunet Panda Cloud Cleaner.
Maybe one day I will install puppy linux on an old laptop and then we can do all this again for another OS
GuitarBob

ClamWin version .103.2 has been released to the beta testers. Seems to work okay--scanning and updates are faster than the old version--I guess the new Clam AV code port helps (one of the original Clam AV developers told me last year that he had given them some speed-up code). Scanning works best if you use a custom set of extensions to scan--I used extensions most commonly used by malware. A ClamWim Windows Explorer right click scan of a file will still use all extensions in scanning, so that is good.

The beta testers should be finished within the next couple of days. It looks ready-to-go to me.

Regards,
cubbettee

Whoo hooo my clam win just got notification to download.
I am curious though since clamAV as a win 32 section as part of the possible downloads--did they start becoming more windows friendly or is it a command line thing through windows
GuitarBob

It is controlled via command line in Windows, and there is no real-time scanner. Clam AV never has been Windows friendly, although most viruses are written for Windows apps. At one time they were developing a dedicated version for Windows, but they just couldn't hack it.

Regards,
CVD, CLD, DB folder