ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
ClamWin Has Gotten Very Slow For Me
GuitarBob

ClamWin has gotten very slow for me--been that way for months now. It takes a long time to load the database before a scan, and the scan itself is much slower than it used to be. I see that the Clam AV daily database is larger in size than the main database. Perhaps Clam AV needs to compact their database. What do you think?

Regards,
GuitarBob

Update

ClamWin is still very slow after the Clam AV work on the database. Sherpya has patched that in version 0.102, but there is no telling when we will get it in a ClamWin version.

Regards,
ClamWin very slow
ZeTo

I've the same problem. I'm using ClamWin in my Old HP laptop because it runs windows XP (SP3) and It takes literally 36 hours to scan 29 GB of files in the HD, OS and Office 2007, NOTHING MORE!!! I've 150 GB total HD space and 2 GB Ram. My HDD is in good conditions according with Crystal Info. Is this normal???

Regards

Zé Tomaz Shocked
GuitarBob

It is so slow that I have removed it from my computer(s). It has not been updated to the latest Clam AV technology going on two years now. The virus signatures provided by Clam AV are also just not enough--there are around 500,000 new virus files produced each day, and Clam AV only prepares about 1,000 virus signatures. In addition, we need real-time protection and heuristics to protect against today's malware.

As additional free protection besides Microsoft Windows Defender (it is much better than it used to be), I have installed the OS Armor application from No Virus Thanks (French). It is not an antivirus, but it protects in real-time against suspicious activity/processes/registry changes and also has some anti-exploit protection of important applications. If it works on Win 98, it offers good protection for users and it is just about the only protection available for them.

Regards,
ClamWin Speed
ZeTo

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Ill give OSArmor a try. Its a pity malware bits does not support XP and older OS's.

Regards
philc

130GB on my hard drive. A full ClamWin scan has now been running for just under 24 hours.

Non-technical suggestions welcome!
GuitarBob

Suggestions:
1 - Scan only folders most favored by malware: System 32, system 64, and AppData
2 - Use 40 or less custom file extensions to scan that are most favored by malware. Everybody has their favorites, here's mine:
.BAT,.CAB,.CHM,.CMD,.CPL,.DLL,.DOC,.DOCX,.EXE,.HTA,.HTM,.HTML,.INF,.JS,.JSE,.LNK,.MSI,.OCX,.ODS,.ODT,.PDF,.PIF,.RAR,.RTF,.SYS,.TMP,.VBS,.XLS,.XLSX,.ZIP.

OS Armor gives a false positive now and then, but you can whitelist them or uncheck a detection category if it has too many FPs.

Regards,
ClamWin Has Gotten Very Slow For Me