Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
FAO: Alch - Port to 0.100.0
jimimaseye

My updates are once again warning of the outdated version:

Code:
--------------------------------------
ClamAV update process started at Mon Jun 25 21:58:00 2018
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.99.4 Recommended version: 0.100.0
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
main.cld is up to date (version: 58, sigs: 4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Downloading daily-24693.cdiff [100%]
Downloading daily-24694.cdiff [100%]
Downloading daily-24695.cdiff [100%]
daily.cld updated (version: 24695, sigs: 1990246, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
bytecode.cld is up to date (version: 322, sigs: 90, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Database updated (6556585 signatures) from database.clamav.net (IP: 104.16.187.138

Its been a couple of months since Sherpya ported and created him 0.100.0 version. Is there any plan for you, Alch, to port it to Clamwin?

Thanks
coldscientist

Hello jimimaseye,

It's perfectly normal. ClamWin didn't follow ClamAV releases itself, because it would require more volunteers to maintain it's code and porting new functionalities. But ClamAV itself offer signatures for "older" versions of ClamWin for months. When a version cease to receiving updates, it's normally posted at https://blog.clamav.net/
jimimaseye

Yes, Im aware of the issues that porting from Linux to Windows can be. Im also aware that the port of 0.100 to windows has already been done (and in fact I said that in my post.) Given that the port has already been done, the same port is used in the Clamwin project, and it simply needs adding to it, and Ive identified and addressed the man that is responsible for doing it, I see little point of writing that last post...... unless, of course, it is by Alch (the man addressed).

Ive already been told by Sherpya that he was going to give Alch a nudge - my first post was a hopeful gentle reminder for action or, at least, a prompt for comment or explanation. Clamwin is a nice project and could do better in its numbers of users; and keeping the version up to date (when the bulk of he work has already been done) would help the cause tremendously. And, of course, the more people use it, the more interest it receives and the more chance of there being others in getting involved so as not having to rely on one man to keep it updated.

OH, and ClamAV they have just released a 0.100.1 security release so now we are 2 versions behind.......
GuitarBob

I agree that the "outdated" warning mentioned should be suppressed/discarded by ClamWin because it is specific to Clam AV users, but most experienced ClamWin users have learned to just ignore it until the developers see fit to correct it.

Re: porting Clam Av updates over to ClamWin, perhaps the ClamWin developers could use some help. They do not have the budget/workforce/time that Cisco does. I'm sure they would welcome some help.

By the way, at one time Cisco was using Clam Av on hundreds of workstations. This was years before they purchased Sourcefire and acquired ClamWin in the purchase, but they never contributed a dime of money/effort to the Clam Av project!

Regards,
FAO: Alch - Port to 0.100.0