ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Native 64-bit support
ROCKNROLLKID

I wanted to re-open this discussion. I was discussing this with the BleachBit company and community, as well. ClamWin needs to "grow up" with everyone else and have a native 64-bit version. Windows 9 is coming out within a year or so and rumor has it Windows 9 will not have a 32-bit edition, at all. 85% - 90% of the population who bought Windows 7 and Windows 8 are 64-bit. Windows XP has dropped support and 32-bit is dieing off. I think ClamWin 1.0 should add native 64-bit support. I am willing to do whatever tests are needed with my Windows 7 64-bit when the time comes. Also, I believe ClamAV already has native 64-bit support, so now it is ClamWin's turn.
GuitarBob

If Clam AV already has x64 support, it is in the scan code already used by ClamWin. I suspect ClamWin has not update the ClamWin specific code for x64.

Many AVs still only use x32 code.

Regards,
ROCKNROLLKID

I still think the whole ClamWin code should be x64. Many AVs are still in 32-bit, yes, but a lot of them are changing or in the process of changing to x64. Will have to be done eventually, anyways.
GuitarBob

Yes, it should be. I think we will have to leave Win 98 and others behind.

Regards,
Native 64-bit support