ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Is the Hash on the ClamWin Website?
GuardRaven59

I used WinHasher (about which I learned from things on the Pale Moon browser site IIRC) to find the hash for clamwin-0.97.7-setup.exe and was given this in hexadecimal format -- b0c619bab100671bc30e5f6197389160fcf3584e .

Where is the right hash for that posted on the ClamWin website so that I can compare the hashes to be sure that I have an unaltered program before installing the download?
GuitarBob

The developers have not been indicating the ClamWin hash. Perhaps this is something they will do in the future. As far as I know, since 2006 there have been no problems with the downloads. If you are concerned, I suggest that you scan the downloaded file with Jotti or Virus Total before installing it.

Regards,
tizef

Note that the ClamWin project provides PGP signatures since version 0.86 (2005-06-21).
You will find all the required .asc files here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/files/
GuitarBob

Thanks for the info--didn't know that. Do you know of any instructions on how to use it to verify a new ClamWin file?

Regards,
tizef

You will find some good informations on the GnuPG project’s website: http://www.gnupg.org/
Have a look at the "Integrity Check" and "FAQs" pages. I feel lazy... It is past bedtime here ;)
GuitarBob

Thanks. I've used that product for email, but I did not know that it could be used to validate files.

Have a good night!

Regards,
GuardRaven59

My thanks to both of you. I did not know about Jotti or Virus Total, and I still do not know how to use PGP; however, you have given me some things to try next time. Meanwhile I hope that my download was fine.
GuitarBob

You are welcome! I suggest that after you install ClamWin and the virus database is updated, then scan both the downloaded file and the ClamWin program folder with ClamWin! That should provide you with a certain amount of assurance.

Regards,
tizef

GuardRaven59 wrote:
I did not know about Jotti or Virus Total, and I still do not know how to use PGP; however, you have given me some things to try next time.

If there are some really interested ClamWin users, I could make some effort to post something about PGP some day... But please note that it would only concern GnuPG 1.4.x on Windows 98 (SE).
Is the Hash on the ClamWin Website?