ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Will ClamWin keep the freedom of exiting?
Monotype

Hello!

One of the functions I miss in most AV-products is the possibility to completely exit (turn off) the application. ClamWin is one of the few who actually lets their users turn off the whole application.

Before, NOD32 use to had this opportunity, but it has been removed by now; now the users can only shut down the tray icon - not the whole application.

Other AV:s who don't let their users shut it down is for example Norton Antivirus, which only lets you turn off the on-access-scanner for a while..

Turning of an AV-product can be very good sometimes, when you - for example - are going to defragment your harddrive(s) or by any other reasons don't want any extra applications to be running in the background.

The main reasons to which I use ClamWin instead of NOD32 are these:

1. ClamWin has a much (in my opinion) cleaner and better GUI than NOD32.

2. ClamWin can be completely shut down, NOD32 can not.

3. ClamWin is free software, NOD32 is not.

The main topic of this thread is this question: Will ClamWin continue to give their users the freedom of completely shut down the application when they want to, or will they be forced to always have the application (or parts of the application) running in the background?

// Monotype
budtse

I agree that there should be an option for advanced users to completely shut down the AV. From what i understand, the next major release will be composed of a service that does the actual scanning, and different programs like the GUI, on-access extension and different plugins that will communicate with this server.

Basically what you're asking for is the option to completely shut down the service so it won't scan (even if some of the client services want it to).

To my opinion this would be a good feature, but should be limited to advanced users. Corporate users (who are responsible for a whole network of pc's not getting infected) will not want their users to be able to shut down the AV, so access to this feature will have to be limited.
Maybe we can allow this only for members of the local Administrators group or something like that.
Monotype

Quote:
Maybe we can allow this only for members of the local Administrators group or something like that.

Yes. That sounds like a good idea. Or raither;

Maybe putting an checkbox in the Advanced tab in the options that says "Hide Exit-option" or something like that, that are checked by default. If a user want to be able to shut it down, just uncheck the checkbox and an alternative to shut it down will appear in the "right klick menu" for the trayicon, like it is right now. And only allow local admins to change this setting.

Alternativerly, let every user (including non-admins) to change this setting, and only have the setting in the Advanced-tab. If a user is "not-so-good-at-computers", the user will probably stay out of Advanced-tabs (or maybe even settings overall). Atleast I didn't mess around with "strange settings" when I didn't know so much about computers.

// Monotype
Will ClamWin keep the freedom of exiting?