ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
win98se updates
pulteny

Hi guitarbob perhaps.
My operating system is win98se and tried to update from v0.97.1 to v0.972 it seemed ok but the program will not open.

This is the third time I have had this problem.Anew installation is required on each occasion. I suppose win9x is so old that it is not worth trying for a fix.Other wise clamwin still functions with this old girl.
Regards pulteny.
GuitarBob

If there were more ClamWin Win 98/SE beta testers, it might be better! I think it is getting so that Win98 users must be more active if they want to continue using the OS. Anyway, I've inquired with Andrea Russo (Clam Sentinel developer who uses Win 98) to see if he knows anything about this problem. If a complete reinstall has always worked for you, I would certainly do that.

Are you using that program that extends the Win 98 OS (the name escapes me)? You might try it if if you are not.

Regards,
GuitarBob

Andrea says he has the same problem. He has tried several things, but the only solution is a complete new install of ClamWin.

If you are a Clam Sentinel user, you should stop Clam Sentinel and then exit it before you do a new install of ClamWin. After the install, you can then start Sentinel again.

Regards,
aru

I report also a big problem with FreshClam on Win98SE.
I have updated ClamWin from 0.97.1 to 0.97.2 and the database update don't works.
I have replaced the new FreshClam.exe with the previous version shipped with 0.97.1 and works.
The ClamWin log contains this:

System Locale: ('it_IT', 'cp1252')
Default Encoding: cp1252
command line path:
freshclam.conf:

DNSDatabaseInfo current.cvd.clamav.net
DatabaseMirror database.clamav.net
MaxAttempts 3

C:\PROGRAMMI\CLAMWIN\lib\clamwin.zip\Utils.py:461: FutureWarning: %u/%o/%x/%X of negative int will return a signed string in Python 2.4 and up
Cleanup for process f7d905d9
C:\PROGRAMMI\CLAMWIN\lib\clamwin.zip\Utils.py:462: FutureWarning: %u/%o/%x/%X of negative int will return a signed string in Python 2.4 and up
Could not write to the log file C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\All Users\.clamwin\log\ClamUpdateLog.txt. Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'c:\\windows\\temp\\tmptuiwek'
Unable to remove file c:\windows\temp\tmptuiwek. Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'c:\\windows\\temp\\tmptuiwek'

The file C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\All Users\.clamwin\log\ClamUpdateLog.txt exists on my machine.

It's funny but also this problem is solved using a full installation.

After the full installation freshclam works fine and the log content is this:

System Locale: ('it_IT', 'cp1252')
Default Encoding: cp1252
command line path:
freshclam.conf:

DNSDatabaseInfo current.cvd.clamav.net
DatabaseMirror database.clamav.net
MaxAttempts 3

C:\PROGRAMMI\CLAMWIN\lib\clamwin.zip\Utils.py:461: FutureWarning: %u/%o/%x/%X of negative int will return a signed string in Python 2.4 and up
Cleanup for process f7d87c15
C:\PROGRAMMI\CLAMWIN\lib\clamwin.zip\Utils.py:462: FutureWarning: %u/%o/%x/%X of negative int will return a signed string in Python 2.4 and up
c:\windows\temp\tmpbfmszn

It's very funny I have update another Win98SE machine without problems. Hovewer there is a problem that is related at the freshclam.exe program and others file or settings into the machine, a problem that is solved only with a full install.

bye,
aru
Lipper

GuitarBob wrote:
Are you using that program that extends the Win 98 OS (the name escapes me)?

Bob, the program you're thinking of is KernelEx. The author has bailed at v. 4.51, but Aru has offerred some help to keep the project going.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152657-kernelex-call-for-support/
Lipper

The ongoing problems on some Win98 systems are admittedly very confusing. I normally get my incremental updates from the ClamWin Beta Testers board, not through the ClamWin program, and without any issues.

I will test more both with and without http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/151192-unofficial-clamwin-patch-for-win98se Aru's libclamav.dll patch for ClamWin, though I believe he's already using it during his testing.
aru

aru wrote:

It's very funny I have update another Win98SE machine without problems. Hovewer there is a problem that is related at the freshclam.exe program and others file or settings into the machine, a problem that is solved only with a full install.

The two machines have are similar the only big difference is that into the machine where I had problems is enabled as a multiuser machine (are defined 4 users).

In the past I had similar problems with the update installer and I have tried of to copy (after the update) the .clamwin folder and the programs\clamwin folder from another machine (updated ok) that works but without success, so perhaps the problem could be perhaps into some registry keys...

bye,
aru
win98se updates
pulteny

Hi some one has sent me a persoal message but I cant open it? This message is seen.

"Private messaging has been disabled on this board".

Regards pulteny.
Re: win98se updates
alch
Site Admin

pulteny wrote:
Hi some one has sent me a persoal message but I cant open it? This message is seen.

"Private messaging has been disabled on this board".

Regards pulteny.

Spammers are getting more elaborate and I had to disable PMs on the forum until we figure out how to stop that.
possible bad guy
pulteny

Hi forumadmin,

In my hotmail account I got a message supposedly from forumadmin@clamwin.com 23/09/2011.Topic reply notification -win98 updates.I was taken to what looked like the forum and seemed like some one wanted me to join their win98 group.I became very cautious and did not click on the link. Logged in to forum and can find no such message on my win 98 post.

I did a full MSE scan and found a"backdoor:win32/cycboticfg" looks to me some one has obtained my hotmail address and is using what appears to be your forum to download malware.

Comments please?

Regards pulteny.
GuitarBob

MSE is usually right. Where was the backdoor located on your computer? Did you report it to Clam AV, if ClamWin did not detect it?

I have brought this to the attention of Alch/Sherpya. Thanks for the report. I suggest that you check with Hotmail to see if they can prevent any further spam. They periodiclaly get compromised.

Regards,
poss. bad guy
pulteny

Hi Guitarbob

The file was located at c:\documents and settings\hp_owner\application data\70d2.44a.This computer does not have Clamwin on it but uses Microsoft MSE.Don't know at present how to contact hotmail other than delete as pishing/scam but will look see.

Regards pulteny.
tizef

Hi All,

I did the upgrade from 0.97.3 to 0.97.4 by applying the patch file (209 KB).
Everything seems to work fine. Single user machine under Windows 98SE.

Other/older related threads here and there.
win98se updates