ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Regarding use with W98 (not SE): Generally "Unable to&q
rogerjan

I would appreciate some guidance, as a newbie. I cannot download the database, regardless of whether I instal .97 or .96. I am beginning to think that Clamwin is incompatible with W98. If so, someone could put me out of my misery! Here is the setup: I have a wired Linksys router on which there is a modern Dell XP machine and an old Dell Dimension, running (non-SE) W98 that I mostly use for backing up files from the XP. Both machines therefore have access to the Internet and both therefore have a firewall. I can access the internet from either machine though, and after CA finally oulled the plug on Antivirus support, I though it a good idea to re-equip. hence Clamwin for the older machine, as it seems one of the few programs said to be W98 compatible.
I can go to Clamwin site, and I have downloaded version 97. When I try to run it I get an advisory about updating the datatbase. When I agree to do that the download animated screen appears and seems to be working but there is no sign of activity on the router and, after an hour, it was clear that nothing was happening. I have turned off the firewall, to no avail. I then removed .97, went to Brothers site and downloaded 961. Exactly the same situation. I have tried to find a definitive statement regarding compatiblilities, but didn't seem to find and hard statements (nor did I find anything at all searching for version 97). Please comment. Thanks.
GuitarBob

ClamWin should work ok on Win 98. So you are able to download the ClamWin program but not the signature database? Do you need to do some router configuration to allow the signature updates? First, however, make sure you have enabled ClamWin internet updates by ticking the Enable block in the Internet Updates configuration tab. Also fill in the other information--frequency, etc. Let us know how it goes.

By the way, when you get it working, look into the Clam Sentinel project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamsentinel/ on the web. Clam Sentinel is a free program that enables you to scan in real-time with ClamWin. It uses the ClamWin quarantine folder, and it has an additional heuristic scan engine that can detect unknown malware for which ClamWin does not have a signature.

Regards,
rogerjan

Thanks for the confirmation about Win98. I have the following info: Using the .96-1 version I requested an upgrade to .97-1. Clamwin calls IE8 to get it, but the page remains blank and never shows and target address and remains blank. So, I closed Clamwin and went to your site simply by using IE8. No problem. However, when I asked for the download, again nothing happened. I then went to FileHippo and with no problem at all downloaded the latest version installer. The installation went smoothly until the request to get the latest database definitions came up. Same problem: no database update.
Turned off my XP machine to eliminate any possibility of it being involved. Repeated the Clamwin database update from the Clamwin program. Nothing. Turned off the firewall. No improvement.
Bottom line: I have full access to the Internet, can download the latest Clamwin - but not from your site - and cannot get a DB update no matter what I do.
As to the wired router, I don't know in what way this could be involved, as the XP machine can talk freely with the W98 machine, the W98 machine can communicate with the XP machine, and both can access the Internet. It is interesting that the only place I can access but can't download from is Clamwin itself.
GuitarBob

Okay. When you ask for the download, are you always doing it from within the ClamWin program?

Back to the ClamWin configuration options. Let's verify that the Internet Update tab configuration is set to allow internet updates and the update site is listed is database.clamav.net. Let's also see what you have in the ClamWin database folder on your computer. The ClamWin file locations tab will tell you where the signature database folder is located on your computer.

Let's also see if there is any mention of ClamWin in your Hosts file--located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc on your computer.

Then let's see if you can update ClamWin in Windows Safe Mode. Hit F8 every second or so upon bootup until you see the Safe Mode options screen. Choose safe mode with networking. Run ClamWin and see if you can update. If you can update, I suggest you do a scan of the Windows folder and the Documents and Settings folder.

Get back with results.

Regards,
Lipper

Hello rogerjan,

I'm running ClamWin on Win98 with no problems updating, or otherwise.

A couple suggestions:

•Check your systems' network settings. Does Win98 connect directly to the router, or use XP as a server? If the latter, make sure your Win98 and XP firewalls allow internet access to the ClamWin program. If an entry already exists, delete it and your firewall(s) should ask for new permissions.

•Check CA's website for an uninstaller, leftover remnants from a previous AV can cause this type of problem.

No joy? Join, and post your problem on the MSFN Forum for Win95/98/ME.
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-959898seme

I don't think you have a ClamWin problem.

Regards,
John
Lipper

Sorry Bob, I was writing while you were posting. Very Happy
GuitarBob

No problem, Lipper. Good advice!

Regards,
rogerjan

Thanks for your help, gents. I should have confirmed the automatic update ealier but, yes, it is has always been turned on.
The frequency is "daily". Everything on the page is checked except Update at Logon.
The address for database downloads is present and correct, per your note.
In the DB folder there are 7 subfolders with very long names starting with clam-av and ending in .clamtmp
There are three .cvd files in the DB folder also.
There is no sign of Clamwin in the drivers file.
I cannot get a download running in the Safe Mode. .But then again, I can't get IE8 to deliver a web connection either.
Also, to confirm: Calmwin appears to run just fine; what I can't de is download the updated database, when prompted. Also, I could not download the latest version from the Clamwin site directly, I had to get the .971 from FileHippo.
The router is a 4 channel wired router solely for linking the XP and W98 machines for data storage. There is no server involved. Each machine is fully independent, and each can access the other, or the INternet.
I cannot recall how the CA was removed. If a CA uninstaller was present, I would have used it. If it was done with the MS uninstal I am not sure that the CA uninstaller - assuming one exists - I am not sure how it would run to find remnants.
I hope that all gives someone a clue as to what's going on. To restate: the only thing I cannot do with this PC is download the Clamwin updates (and, apparently, the program itself, although, as stated, I could get it from Hippo with no difficulty. Thanks.
Lipper

You're welcome, rogerjan,

ClamWin won't update because your virus database is corrupted. I only have four files, no folders in my db folder:

bytecode.cld
daily.cld
main.cvd
mirrors.dat

The easiest solution is a clean install of ClamWin. Uninstall ClamWin using the Windows uninstaller, reboot. Search your computer for ClamWin. If present, manually delete these ClamWin folders at:

C:\Windows\All Users
C:\Windows\Application Data
C:\Program Files
(C: equals your OS drive)

Now would be a good time to empty your temp folder at C:\Windows\Temp, and your Recycle Bin.

Install ClamWin .97.1 on Win98 at default values. Cancel the "db out of date warning" until you have ClamWin set up as you wish. Reboot to finalize the installation. Manually update the db from the ClamWin user interface.

You have referred to IE 8 numerous times. If Win98 has independent internet access in your network, yet is calling IE 8 on XP there is something wrong with your network settings, as I previously inferred.

CA does indeed offer an uninstaller to clean the registry and extraneous leftovers from their program. If you're unable to locate the corresponding program for the version of CA you had installed, their support department has a toll free number 1-877-205-7962.

Good luck,
Lipper
GuitarBob

I was thinking you might have a virus that prevents update of an AV, but Lipper is probably right. Just to set my mind at ease, however, try to download another AV. I know Norman's malware cleaner will work on Win 98, but it's a big file. Seems like Avast 4.8 will also work, if you can find it. There are lots of other viruses that can disable an AV, but the Conficker test is at http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html on the web.

Those long filenames in the ClamWin database directory are probably some kind of temp files. I have to delete one every once in a while. They aren't really a sign of a corrupted database, but a clean install of ClamWin will not hurt, I'm sure.

Regards,
rogerjan

Thanks again, Guys. I'll work through the notions you propose and get back to you. There are a couple of other points to mention: I must have created the impression that the XP machine is calling IE8 via the W98 machine, but that is not the case. The 98 machine calls a copy of IE8 when trying to download the Clamwin program from the Clamwin site. It also does this, I discovered, when trying to get a cloud-based scan from some sites, per your list of useful anti-virus sites. I have found very few antivirus programs (and only the one firewall) to replace the CA suite. So, meanwhile, I have installed Avast to scan for viruses. There is no problem at all getting fresh database downloads for that. It does it on its own, and very quickly. The problem is that it only scans 97,000 items (of 129,000 approx) and then freezes! So far, I have not been able to get either a cloud scan or an alternative PC virus scanner that will run on 98 (or at least, W98 on my machine).
GuitarBob

Well, it looks like the updating Clamwin is a system configuration problem if you can update OK with Avast. Does Avast freeze on the same file every time? If so, what is the file, and where is it located? Can you do a manual scan of that file with Avast?

With regard to scanning, can you scan the computer with ClamWin?

Regards,
rogerjan

As it takes a rather long time to scan that W98 machine, I'll have to let you know whether the freeze occurs at the same place every time. It actually stopped on an Outlook related file, but as the "console" for the Avast system was in the "car radio" skin I couldn't read anything more. I am running the thing again with a different looking console and perhaps will learn more. Anyway, I did a manual update to Avast and again it worked properly (except this time it told me I already had the latest version).
I can scan (or rather, I should say, It appears that I can scan with Clamwin. I have never seen the conclusion of a scan. I hesitate because the Clamwin animated display operates and looks just like the database download is actually happening when, in fact, it is not. So, the Clamwin display is not a reliable indicator of what the program is actually doing, only what it intends to be doing.
Here's another thought: what if I installed Clamwin on my XP machine and, assuming that the updater works properly there, then copy the database files over the LAN to the correct location in the W98 machine. Will that work, or will Clamwin "know" that the target was an XP machine and download something with a different 'flavor' than is needed? What files are included in the download and where do they get deposited?

The Avast scan has been running for 90 minutes and reports only 15% complete, so I'll forward the answer to that question separately. Do I remember correctly that Clamwin did not show any indication of scan progress?
Thanks again.
GuitarBob

Yes, getting the ClamWin signatures via Win XP and copying to Win 98 should work fine.

By the way, some time ago another user had a problem updating Win 98. Here is the forum thread, which has a suggested temporary fix by Sherpya (don't know if he ever made it permanent): http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=2998&highlight=windows++update+problems on the forum.

Regards,
rogerjan

I'll take a look at the post. Thanks very much. By the way, the Avast program gets progressively slower and slower, so that the file count examined becomes like watching grass grow, and finally stops altogether after some 40,000 items. It has by then locked the PC such that CtL/Alt/Del doesn't work either, and the power button has to be used. I have no idea what that all means, but although I can get definitions with no trouble, the Alwil product clearly isn't the answer either!
I'll try the XP approach after I read the post you mentioned, and let you know what happens.
Thanks!
Regarding use with W98 (not SE): Generally "Unable to&q