ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
sentinal for clamwin
pulteny

Hi I would like to address this to GUITARBOB but all users feel free?

I was reading a forum entry from 2009 from a Google search about sentinal. this is an add on to main wincam.It was written by Win 98se user ARL.
GUIARBOB and ARL went into great technical detail about programing details over my head.

I would like to know how far things have gone since then ,as I would try it on my 9x machine.

Please tell me where the best place to down load from and which is the most uptodate version.

Regards all Pulteny.
GuitarBob

I'm sorry you felt like the explanation about Clam Sentinel was too much for you. In cases like that, it usually means a bad explanation, so I wish you had mentioned it sooner. Sentinel might be a bit different than most AVs--all configuraltion is done via the little Sentinel shield icon in the Windows system tray. The default items are usually okay to use, so it is just about as "set and forget" as any other AV.

I am pleased to report that Clam Sentinel has been improved since you looked into it. It now has its own heuristic scanner in addition to the original real-time scanner that uses ClamWin. The heuristics enable Sentinel to detect many viruses and other malware for which ClamWin does not yet have a signature. The heuristics are competitive with some of the smaller AV companies, which is a good thing, because Clam AV still has a very small sigmaking staff.

You can download the current version of Sentinel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamsentinel/ on the web. Here are some quick instructions: ClamWin must be installed before you install Sentinel. If you are a new user of Sentinel, you may have to set up your own directory in which to install it. A good directory to use is C:\Program Files\ClamSentinel. If your Sentinel download file is the ClamSentinel.exe file, just download or copy the .exe file to this directory. If your Sentinel download file is a zipped file, unzip the file to this same directory, and then click on the ClamSentinel.exe file. When unzipping, if your unzip program tells you that a file is already in the directory, tell it to replace the old file and all files. During installation, select Run on startup so Sentinel will scan in real-time when your computer starts. Sentinel comes with a Simple Guide you should read after unzipping or putting the installation file in the Sentinel directory but before clickiong on the exe file to install. There is also a file about how you can get maximum protection from Sentinel/ClamWin.

Regards,
pulteny

Hi again guitarbob.

thanks for reply.I have installed sentinel but still have to work out all the bells and whistles.However I installed another program at the same time.I have noticed my copy of Ccleaner has experienced a few glitches is there a known conflict.My old Gateway computer often throws up wobblies so not too concerned.

Your reply was very helpful but you seem to imply that i was critical of comments you made back in 2009. Bet you don't know what was said back then No aspersions were intended.
Regards pulteny.
GuitarBob

Not at all--I just thought that perhaps I did not do a good enough job of explaining. I prepared the Simple Guide to Sentinel, so please let me know if it is not understandable.

Sentinel is a small program that does not use many resources, so there is probably not any conflict between it and CCleaner. Sentinel was originally developed for older computers, and the author, Andrea Russo of Italy, still keeps that in mind as he writes the code. I used to install more than one program at about the same time, but every time I had problems, it made it more difficult to locate the source.

Regards,
sentinal for clamwin