ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
ERROR: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net
awesome

I've not been able to get my virus database updated for a few weeks now, whatever the version of ClamWin I resort to (in the attempt of getting round the mentioned problem I've also installed the latest version available to date: 0-97).
I have a WinXP, and the following is the report I get at the end of any automatic updating process.

ClamAV update process started at Thu Feb 17 00:49:36 2011
main.cvd is up to date (version: 53, sigs: 846214, f-level: 53, builder: sven)
WARNING: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No address associated with hostname
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-12698.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No address associated with hostname
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-12698.cdiff from database.clamav.net
ERROR: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No address associated with hostname
ERROR: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: No address associated with hostname
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in c:\docume~1\***\impost~1\temp\tmp8x3bpe is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/support/mirror-problem for possible reasons.

Thanks for your help.
GuitarBob

The Clam update address looks correct, and it does not appear to be a ClamWin version problem. Can you update ClamWin manually? Check the FAQ on the main ClamWin page for update problems, and make sure you have enabled automatic virus database updates. Did anything happen to your system about 2 weeks ago that might affect your Clamwin updates? Are you updating the ClamWin database directly through your computer? Your error messsage makes it look like there is maybe an FTP problem.

Regards,
awesome

Thanks a lot Bob, for your thoughtful reply: being I not too skilled IT-wise, I'll make the most of your reply with the help of a technician.
Lipper

Thanks for your possible solution!

You can test for a Conficker infection by visiting
http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html
GanIT

I know this is very old post. But I'm replying to this thread so others who are having this problem can solve this issue. My Server 2003 was infected by conficker worm and was not able to update and got same update error as mentioned in this thread. To solve this issue what you have to do is stop DNS caching. Go to command prompt type " net stop dnscache" (without quotes). Then you will get a message on comand prompt saying " The DNS Client service was stopped succefully". Try to update your clamwin virus definition after that.

NOTE:DNSCACHE will start automatically after the process. Go to this link to find out whether PC is infected by confiker http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html
GuitarBob

Thanks for your thoughtful post--it will probably help someone. You would think Conficker infections would be all gone by now, but it's still one of the most common infections!

Regards,