ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
quarantine folder filled with 25,000 files
drfrankc

Greetings, Most of my programs stopped working due to missing files. I did a malware scan and noticed that my clamwin quarantine folder was filled with 25,000 plus files all of which were appended with the word infected. Does anyone have any ideas besides "This guy is totally screwed"?
See "Bad database update?" in Virus Database Updat
cjturner

It may not have been a virus, but it sure worked like one...
alch
Site Admin

we had a very unfortunate coincidence with version and database updates which triggered a bad false positive. Restoring from a backup (if you have one) would be a best option. Otherwise the quarantined files are written to the scan log. If you e-mail it to me to clamwin at clamwin dot com then I can send you back the batch file which will copy them back.
drfrankc

Thank you alch, Unfortunately, I don't have a back up of the whole hard drive just the "my documents" folder. This scan log you mention, where do I find it? ClamWin has quarantined itself as well so should I reinstall the new version 0.96.4? Thank you.

PS I don't know how to use a batch file to restore the quarantined files. Is there some tutorial which might guide me?

PPS Thanks for the post cj
alch
Site Admin

the log file is in:

Win7 and Vista: C:\Users\All Users\.clamwin\log\ClamScanLog.txt
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\.clamwin\log\ClamScanLog.txt

You would just run the batch file and it will do the rest (hopefully).

drfrankc wrote:
Thank you alch, Unfortunately, I don't have a back up of the whole hard drive just the "my documents" folder. This scan log you mention, where do I find it? ClamWin has quarantined itself as well so should I reinstall the new version 0.96.4? Thank you.

PS I don't know how to use a batch file to restore the quarantined files. Is there some tutorial which might guide me?

PPS Thanks for the post cj
felipestyle77

Hi, I have the same problem, you can send to me the batch file? I need urgently Confused

I sent the scan log to your e-mail. I'm waiting.

Thank you.
Windows server 2003
lasersoft

Where is the log file on Windows Server 2003. There is a file ClamScanLog.txt in the c:\documents and settings\all users\.clamwin\log but doesn't have information about the quarentined files. It seems to come a day before the problem occurred, as if the program didn't finish writing. Can I just return the files to where I think they came from?
Re: Windows server 2003
alch
Site Admin

lasersoft wrote:
Where is the log file on Windows Server 2003. There is a file ClamScanLog.txt in the c:\documents and settings\all users\.clamwin\log but doesn't have information about the quarentined files. It seems to come a day before the problem occurred, as if the program didn't finish writing. Can I just return the files to where I think they came from?

2003 location is same as in XP
yes - just drop the .infected part from the filename
Windows server 2003
lasersoft

It would be really cool if Clamwin would be able to automatically scan the quarantined files and if they were now clean it could restore them to the correct location. I think that it is going to be a long night. This is my production server. Do you have any ideas on how to find the original location of the files?
Thanks
Re: quarantine folder filled with 25,000 files
strazco

drfrankc wrote:
Greetings, Most of my programs stopped working due to missing files. I did a malware scan and noticed that my clamwin quarantine folder was filled with 25,000 plus files all of which were appended with the word infected. Does anyone have any ideas besides "This guy is totally screwed"?

Me too... 12Gs, 20,000 files. exe's, dlls, the lot of them all quarantined.

A speedy resolution would be appreciated. I have emailed the log files to the address mentioned.
x-thousand files quarantined

Hi alch,
as seen on
http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=3094 and
http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=3091&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
you have troubles with the last database - me too.

In my case I lost 2.600 files - and most of them are system-files...

As to see in the last log there is nothing logged - the last entry was made after I reinstalled the newest version, means, there were proofed two files detected by clamwin but no result after new proof...

Please be so kind to give us a batch to recover the files - we need it really urgent (as any other here...).
Re: x-thousand files quarantined
alch
Site Admin

456654 wrote:
Hi alch,
as seen on
http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=3091&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

As to see in the last log there is nothing logged - the last entry was made after I reinstalled the newest version, means, there were proofed two files detected by clamwin but no result after new proof...

Please be so kind to give us a batch to recover the files - we need it really urgent (as any other here...).

can you check your temp folder and let me know - there is still a chance it would be there. It should start with tmp and look like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\tmp0bx8st on XP
or
C:\Users\alex\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp0bx8st on Vista/7

look for a larger file and check if it has quarantine info inside
boyan.sharic

456654 wrote:
Hi alch,
as seen on

We have similar problem. There are cca 7000 files quarantined since this morning but the footer of the log file looks like this:

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 851459
Engine version: 0.96.2
Scanned directories: 8033
Scanned files: 56487
Infected files: 0
Data scanned: 10080.58 MB
Data read: 14149.52 MB (ratio 0.71:1)
Time: 3985.172 sec (66 m 25 s)

Scan Started Thu Nov 18 00:30:00 2010
alch
Site Admin

boyan.sharic wrote:
456654 wrote:
Hi alch,
as seen on

We have similar problem. There are cca 7000 files quarantined since this morning but the footer of the log file looks like this:

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 851459
Engine version: 0.96.2
Scanned directories: 8033
Scanned files: 56487
Infected files: 0
Data scanned: 10080.58 MB
Data read: 14149.52 MB (ratio 0.71:1)
Time: 3985.172 sec (66 m 25 s)

Scan Started Thu Nov 18 00:30:00 2010

did you check your temp folder as described above?

alch wrote:
did you check your temp folder as described above?

I believe he won't find it... I tried all possibilities but couldn't find a log from clamwin except from yesterday when all files were on their place...
quarantine folder filled with 25,000 files