ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
No option to install Outlook Plugin
glenda_69

Sorry if I didn't do a thorough enough search, but I really did look for an answer before posting.

I installed clamwin full version 0.94.1 today and the Outlook plugin wasn't listed in the installation option tree. I'm running XP Home SP2 with the Office 97 suite installed. Outlook is configured for a POP3 email account. All MS updates are installed with the following exceptions:
.net 1.1 and above
SP3

The reason I don't have those (or a newer office suite) is that I'm currently housebound in BFE on dialup and the download time is unreasonable. Which brings me to another little issue. I downloaded the main and daily db updates separately for a portable version of clamwin I have on a stickdrive. THEN I discovered when I downloaded the new version of clamwin full, the databases were included in the package (though they were older than the ones I got earlier today). Is it possible to get future clamwin package installers without the main db, which was over 15MB alone? Do people really need to redownload the main.cvd with an updated version?

I've been using clamwin portable on my laptops and have really enjoyed having an on-demand scanner instead of a huge bloatware security suite. I'd be okay with finding out it just doesn't support my version of Outlook, even though that's why I decided to install the full version on my newest (used) computer. I just want to know for certain what the problem is before I give up on email scanning. Clamwin runs fine, updates perfectly, and the explorer integration works.

Thanks to all who have worked so hard on the clamav project. It is truly one of a kind.

P.S. I'm particularly happy with a little VBS script I found to register clamwin with XP's Security Center!
Antonio S.

Hello,

On the Sourceforge Clamwin related download page you have the possibility to choose the installation file without the db (find it @ http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105508&package_id=113616).
For the Outlook issue I am not quite sure since I am using only webmail but on Preferences Tab (Advanced) you have the possibility to check the 'Treat files as mailboxes'; this should work.

Regards,
Antonio
Thanks for the link!
glenda_69

Antonio,

I do have that option, but it has no effect on outlook integration. Nothing happens at all when I get my email and there is no menuitem about clamwin in the help pulldown within outlook (where the documentation says there should be).

Shoot! I can't believe I missed that link! I'll keep that in mind the next time I upgrade. I guess I always get a little confused when I go to sourceforge. So many packages, the "nodb" one slipped right past me.

Thanks again, I hope someone knows something about the Outlook issue, I hate leaving things like that hanging. If my software doesn't work, I like to know why so I can be sure I've done everything I could.

regards,
Glenda
Antonio S.

Hello glenda_69,

I have taken a look at the Clamwin installer and on the setup procedure you may select which components have to be installed. By default on typical installation the integration with windows Explorer and MS Outlook is ticked, so I guess you'll have to uninstall and reinstall the program with the settings listed previously.
Come back if you still have problems. I am sure someone more experienced than me in the forum will take up this issue and provide further assistance.

Regards,
Antonio
glenda_69

I did an uninstall and reinstalled clamwin and got the same result, no option for outlook integration. I selected the install for all users, I'm going to try doing the install for just me. Though I'm not as experienced with opensource as I'd like to be, I'm guessing the installer isn't "seeing" that Outlook is installed on my system. The earlier versions of Office may install to a different path or use registry keys clamwin doesn't look for. It would be nice to verify whether or not clamwin is even compatible with outlook 97, but I realize it's New Year's Eve and most people have better things to do than check out this forum.

I appreciate your help, Antonio. Happy New Year!
GuitarBob

Hi Glenda:

I can't help with your Outlook problem either--sorry, but I think the ClamWin developers might be interested in that VB script you found that registers ClamWin with the Windows Security Center--if not right now, maybe for the future. I suggest you contact them (per the Contact Us option on the main ClamWin web page and give the location of the script. Good luck with the Outlook problem--surely someone can help.

Regards,
I'll do that.
glenda_69

GuitarBob,
I can't imagine they don't already know about it, but I'll shoot them a message. According to the author, all it does is tell Security Center there is an antivirus program installed, what it is, and that it is up to date. After that, there's no more interaction that I can tell. Even though I've temporarily uninstalled clamwin to troubleshoot, security center still thinks it's there. Windows also doesn't really know whether it's up to date or not, it stays green regardless, but since clamwin can be set to update when opened, that doesn't matter. It's a cosmetic fix; however, some people (like me) don't like big red warnings or nag messages, so it's worth it. On the other hand, maybe the clamwin developers can use it as a template to create a real, functioning code to register their product with security center.

Happy New Year!
-Glenda
Thanks anyway, but nevermind.
glenda_69

Over the past two days I remembered how much I despise Outlook. I'm going back to Outlook Express. Does anyone know of a good email scanner that works with OE? I'm still keeping clamwin (of course), especially since I figured out how to get it to work with my downloader. Smile

Happy New Year and thanks again,

-Glenda
Clearing Security Center After Uninstalling An AV
GuitarBob

If you have uninstalled a security product, and Windows Security Center still thinks it is there, do this:

1. Click Start>Run> and type services.msc
2. Find Windows Management Instrumentation Service and Stop it.
3. Go to folder location c:\Windows\System32\wbem and delete the Repository folder.
4. Restart your computer.

It should be gone now and ready for you to install another security program.
Sometimes just doing steps three and four will work.

Regards,
Antonio S.

Hello glenda_69,

I made some tests here for the Outlook issue. I have installed office 2000 on my XP SP3 machine; relaunched Clamwin installer; it did see the integration with Outlook. Same result with my notebook (Vista SP1) which had office 2003 preinstalled (btw-and just for info-, I removed MS Office and installed IBM Lotus Symphony on both machines. Works perfectly, it's free and support open documents format.

I guess your problem has to do with Office 97 definitely. Perhaps Clamwin developers will find a fix for that.
For mail scanner that works with OE it is sufficient to be provided with real time scanner. If I remember well AVG free scans in/outcoming mail messages but you can use Avira antivir Free or Avast as well.

Hope this helps,
Antonio
Love free; AV suites, not so much
glenda_69

Thanks for the suggestions and for checking out my problem. It must be the fact my outlook is so old.
Honestly, all I want is something to check my email. I don't need a full real-time antivirus program/suite. I only need something to look at the HTML emails my friends and family send me, since I open everything else in plain text. I use clamwin to scan everything I download.

You'd think with the popularity of smaller, opensource programs growing, the major players would get the hint. All anyone really needs real-time scanning for is documents, emails, and webpages. Everything else could be on-demand.

For example, I had Outpost 2009 firewall installed with all the bells and whistles, but there was no way to keep it from starting on system boot without disabling the service and then reenabling it to run the thing. I'm on dialup for heaven's sake, I didn't need my firewall running when I'm not connected! I had a nice little batch file to run everything (including dialing my ISP) ONLY when I wanted to connect, but OP wouldn't run without the acs.exe service running and the service couldn't be set to 'manual'; it was either 'automatic' and starting on boot (with the gui), or 'disabled'. I messed around with it until I accidentally disabled it with self-protect on and couldn't enable it again. I had to uninstall the whole thing!

So now I'm in the market for a new firewall and spyware program. Preferably something small, opensource, and that does NOT have to run in the background 24/7.

Maybe I want too much? Wink Wish me luck in my hunt. Thanks again, Antonio, it's nice to know someone checked on this. It's my fault for resisting the inevitable: scrapping a perfectly good office suite in order to upgrade to something I don't want and don't need because it's bigger, prettier, and more expensive.

Oh well, I'm off to figure out why XP SP3 won't download.
-Glenda
alch
Site Admin

clamwin only works with Outlook 2000 and above. This limitation is due to the fact that earlier versions of outlook did not support COM API model for plug-ins
YAY!
glenda_69

One mystery solved! Thank you! Is that documented somewhere? Though clearly I am one of the few who still use the older programs, it would have been nice to see that on the webpage or in the readme. Of course, it could be there; I may have missed it.

I don't mind being the only one with a problem as long as I know why. I won't lose any more sleep over it. Thanks for letting me know.

-Glenda
Some suggestions
Antonio S.

glenda_69 wrote:

So now I'm in the market for a new firewall and spyware program. Preferably something small, opensource, and that does NOT have to run in the background 24/7.
-Glenda

As an antispyware you may try Spybot S&D: it's free and does its job quite well. If I remember well you have also the option not to install the Tea Timer .exe (which makes the program activate the real time protection).
Firewall: You may have a try with Pc Tools Personal firewall or Jetico Personal Firewall v.1. Both of them are freeware but they open as you start Windows. Anyway you may disable them anytime you wish using the relevant tray icon.

Hope this helps,
Antonio
Grazie Professore!
glenda_69

Antonio,
I've heard good things about Avira, Avast, Spybot and PCTools, but I've never heard of Jetico and AVG is not doing so hot in the testing anymore. I'll definitely have a look at all of them.

Guitarbob,

Wow! I missed your post altogether. Thank you, I would have forgotten all about clearing security center! Your directions worked like a charm, the little red shield is staring me in the face as I type. I'm keeping clamwin, so I'll probably re-run that script, but it's good to know how to clear it out if I do end up running something that Windows recognizes.

Affettuosi saluti,
Glenda
No option to install Outlook Plugin