ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Antivirus Pro 2008
EJE

I have managed to unistall the above but I still have the icon on the bottom right taskbar.

Please could someone help me.

I am an amateaur computer user!

Thanks.
GuitarBob

Go to Dr. Web's Antivirus site at http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/ to either download Cureit or run it from the Web site. It's probably best to run it from the Web site because it is updated every few days and you won't have to update your current version if you need it again. It's a really good program and will normally be able to cure infections of most viruses that are older than a couple of days. There's nothing to configure--you just run it.

If Cureit doesn't work (it should), Plan B is to get (if you don't already have one) a good antispyware program and run a scan with it. Microsoft's Windows Defender program is free and it 's pretty good. Download it at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx on the Web. I believe the default configuration options are probably okay for you. I would go into Tools, Options, however, and set up a daily scan--also make sure real time scanning is enabled.

You are probably aware (from the info on the main ClamWin Web page) that ClamWin is not a real-time antivirus scanner that scans files on your computer whenever they are accessed (opened or closed). At present, it is only an on-demand scanner that you can use to scan manually when you want to, and you can set up scheduled scans with it. If you use your computer regularly you should probably use ClamWin as a backup scanner and rely upon a real-time on-access AV scanner for primary security. Some good free ones: Avast from Alwil, AntiVir from Avira, or the Threatfire behavior blocker from PC-Tools at their Threatfire Web site. A lot of people use Threatfire. It's already configured for you, and it works well with ClamWin because it blocks malware behavior while ClamWin identifies viruses from signatures.

Regards,
Antivirus Pro 2008