ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
0.99.4 - Failed Downloads & Corrupt Install Files
sandyfax

Downloading and installing the latest version of ClamWin (0.99.4) seems to be impossible.

I've tried several sourceforge mirrors and popular download sites like MajorGeeks and FileHippo.
The download starts and stops over and over. I managed to download clamwin-0.99.4-setup.exe
three times. One or more files in the install are always corrupt.

After googling, I found old posts about this subject. I did not know this sort of thing has been a
problem for a few years.

Please read some of these 2016 posts at the PortableApps forum:

https://portableapps.com/node/54415

I've been a ClamWin user for several years. If these download and file corruption problems are not
resolved quickly, I'll be forced to abandon ClamWin. Not something I want to do, but we all need a
reliable virus scanner.
GuitarBob

Are you trying to download ClamWin or the portable version of ClamWin? We can't help much with the portable version.

All ClamWin versions are available for download at https://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/files/clamwin/ on the web. The signature updates must be downloaded from Clam AV. Clam AV has always had some mirror site problems (since I started with ClamWin in 2008), but their blog says they are in the process of changing their mirrors. Let's hope that this will fix things.

If you get a corrupt signature database, I suggest you delete all files in the C:\ProgramData\.clamwin\db folder and then manually update signatures via the Tools/Download Virus Signature Update option in the ClamWin GUI menu.

ClamWin can't/doesn't provide complete protection against malware. You should use it as a second opinion scanner to a real-time antivirus with web filter protection. Let's hope that, at some time, it can/will be improved. It's Clam AV heritage was designed for use by Linux email scanners that have no need for real-time detection and Windows OS considerations.

Thanks for using ClamWin!
sandyfax

Thanks for replying GuitarBob.

I selected those posts at PortableApps just as an example of continuing download and file corruption
problems with ClamWin. There are many other examples if you google. (No, I do not use the portable
version of ClamWin.)

The problem is, how many more times should I download the latest version of ClamWin? I've never
seen such erratic download behavior. My download manager displays a graph of wild peaks and
valleys as various servers start and stop the download. That's why the install package is corrupt.

I'll wait a couple of days and make a final attempt to download a clean copy of 0.99.4.
GuitarBob

OKay, I hope you are successful. This is the first time I have heard of V.99.4 download problems. You might try a normal download without using a download manager.

If you also have problems downloading updates for your other antivirus program, I would suspect the involvement of malware.

Regards,
micah-at-talos

One of my colleagues has alerted me to the fact that 0.99.4 upgrade installer appears to flag by 4 AV vendors on VirusTotal:

Download link: http://www.clamwin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&version=0.99.1&source=sf

VirusTotal results: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/e3e54c3759d01639d10a55eeaa8fa7a478ae3b7a3802e5db93c9a66e0d0f3af6/detection
GuitarBob

Ignore mica at talos. I am not sure he works for Talos. Anyway, Virus Total says the V.99.4 setup file is okay per https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/c6f272afdb48db7d5600a1934d2c3b028c4db76fe96d3d8681383f6a69a33722/detection on the web.

I would not use his link either. Always scan links with Virus Total (or something) that you get from someone you do not know before you click on them. There is a lot of dangerous stuff on the web.

Regards,
micah-at-talos

GuitarBob wrote:
Ignore mica at talos. I am not sure he works for Talos. Anyway, Virus Total says the V.99.4 setup file is okay per https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/c6f272afdb48db7d5600a1934d2c3b028c4db76fe96d3d8681383f6a69a33722/detection on the web.

I would not use his link either. Always scan links with Virus Total (or something) that you get from someone you do not know before you click on them. There is a lot of dangerous stuff on the web.

Regards,

Hi Bob,

I guess I should've elaborated. The 0.99.4 installer (clamwin-0.99.4-setup.exe) doesn't have any positive hits on VirusTotal.
The 0.99.4 updater/upgrader (clamwin-update-0.99.1-0.99.4.exe, shasum dd6340f3bc974cc6bd3ca05d3ea431f559e5308) is flagged by 4 antivirus products:

Baidu: Win32.Trojan.WisdomEyes.16070401.9500.9606
Bkav: HW32.Packed.D605
McAfee-GW-Edition: BehavesLike.Win32.ObfusRansom.tc
TrendMicro-HouseCall: Suspicious_GEN.F47V0314

I fully expect these are false positives. I wasn't sure how best to notify the ClamWin devs that their updater is being flagged by some products so I decided to throw it on the forums.
GuitarBob

Thanks, Micah. Excuse my misunderstanding. I'm pretty sure this is a false positive. Those 4 AVs are very "touchy" with their heuristics. IN the absence of any other evidence, I like to see at least 2 of these AVs detect something before I believe it is malware: Avira, Bitdefender, Eset, Kaspersky, and Sophos. They use their own scan engines, and they have to be correct because of wide usage.

I'll inform the ClamWin developers about this, but if Virus Total does what they said some time ago, they will notify the affected AVs that they have a false positive.

Regards,
sandyfax

I don't know why I keep trying, but I've downloaded clamwin-0.99.4-setup.exe four times from
different servers. I'm not having problems downloading anything else.

The attached error message always appears about corrupt source file daily.cvd.

I really like ClamWin. If possible, give me a solution before I move on to another app.
https://postimg.org/image/5god4gk3f/
GuitarBob

If you get a corrupt signature/database file, delete all signature files from the ClamWin db\ folder and then do a manual update of the signatures. That usually works for me.

Thanks for using ClamWin!

Regards,
sandyfax

During the install of version 0.99.4, two error messages appear about corrupt files daily.cvd and bytecode.cvd.
If you allow the install to continue, these files are not copied.

Downloading a clean copy of daily.cvd is no problem:

http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/58/27/

Where can I download a replacement copy of bytecode.cvd for version 0.99.4?
GuitarBob

Best way to treat a corrupted file is to delete the file in the ClamWin\bin\signature folder and then do a manual update. When I get a corrupted signature file, to be sure, I just delete all files in the signature folder and update manually. This happens to me a couple of times each year--don't know why, but anything is possible, I guess.

Thanks for using ClamWin! Be sure to use a real-time Av for your primary Av and employ ClamWin as a backup scanner. There a lots of good free ones, including Microsoft Windows Defender/Security Essentials for older PCs.

Regards,
sandyfax

GuitarBob, did you read my question?

The latest virus definition update files (main.cvd and daily.cvd) are available for manual download here:

http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/58/27/

I have absolutely no idea where to download bytecode.cvd.

I will ask again. Where can I download a copy of bytecode.cvd for version 0.99.4?
GuitarBob

Yes - I read your question. Did you read my answer?

You can get all the signatures you need (even bytecode) when you do an update. So I wanted you to just delete all sigs on your machine and start over.

Regards,
sandyfax

I apologize GuitarBob.

I think my definition of "manual" update is different than yours!

I point my browser to a web page and manually select a download link. That's my definition of a manual update.

If I'm correct, you mean run ClamWin.exe and select Tools > Download Virus Database Update.
Instead of a direct download, the update is executed through the app. Yes, I suppose that is a manual update too.

I hope those two corrupt files are the only problems with 0.99.4.

I'll post the results after the updates are completed.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
0.99.4 - Failed Downloads & Corrupt Install Files