ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
clamwin is scanning its own quarantine files
stib

and of course when it finds infected files in its quarantine folder it moves them to.. its quarantine folder. So if I start with one infected file, next time I scan I have two, the next time four, then next time eight and so on. One year later (doing a weekly scan) I have 4503599627370496 infected files (2^52), if I haven't done anything about them. Could be a problem yes?

It's easy to fix, you just add the quarantine folder or infected* to the filters list. In the interests of making the programme easier for the average luser, shouldn't that be the default behaviour?
budtse

When you have files in the quarantine folder, you should do something about it. You can upload the file to www.virustotal.com and check it against different scanners.

If you have reason to believe it is a false positive, you should report it to the clamav team and they will fix it. In the mean time you could move the file back to it's original location.

If it is a virus, you should remove it. Even though the quarantine folder should be pretty save, it's still a part of your system, and you shouldn't keep infected files on your system.

If you want to have easy notification of infected items (so you don't have to check the report after each scan), you can enable the email notifications.

regards,
budtse
stib

True, but some of us folks are busy with other stuff apart from picking at our quarantine files. Since Clamwin isn't exactly the most proactive scanner - it doesn't get in your face and actively alert you to infected files, it's easy to just ignore the logs and click the "whatever" button. In my experience 90% of my quarantined files are false positives, so I don't delete them too hastily. So if I'm busy working on something, putzing round on the internet finding out if foobar.bar is a virus or a legitimate operating system file is not top of the to-do list. It can sit in the sin-bin until either I get a "this program can not run because foobar.bar was not found" error, or I have a spare moment to sort it.

I'm posting this because it makes the program less user friendly; it is a setting that needs to be altered in a standard out of the box install, or Bad Things Might Happen.

..and surely making duplicates of infected files is not good behaviour for an anti virus application?
Quarantine
GuitarBob

Perhaps in the future ClamWin could have an additional selection with Quarantine to Ignore Quarantine Files from scans or perhaps this could be a default. Most of the other antivirus software seems to exclude it--or perhaps they "cripple" the quarantined files in some manner so they are no longer recognized as malware.

Regards,
stib

yeah, I was thinking, wouldn't encrypting the quarantined files so you need a password to open them be a good way of stopping them being accidentally activated?
alch
Site Admin

yes and that is how quarantine works in version 1, which is in it's final stages of development.
marcoscott

How to set the brightness and contrast at scanning?

Last edited by marcoscott on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:13 am; edited 3 times in total
GuitarBob

There is no such setting in the ClamWin program itself. You might try adjusting your hardware/graphics/monitor settings to see if you can get something to suit you.

Regards,
clamwin is scanning its own quarantine files