ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
No virus data updates since Sep 16
SR_CLAMWIN

Hello all!

Since some days there are obviously no new virus data updates.

The CLAMWIN "About" window reports:

Clamwin 0.99 <-- should be 099.1 which I did install
Virus DB version [main: 58, daily: 23840]
Updated: 10:42 16 Sep 2017

BUT there are newer data files from Clam AV!

For example:
http://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-virusdb/attachments/20170921/bccd92d1/attachment.ksh

Last Updates are from Fri 22:
http://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-virusdb/attachments/20170922/b08738ee/attachment.ksh

QUESTION: what could be the problem?
Is it a clamwin - clam av compatibility problem? Since the last clam av ver. is 099.2
(and clamwin is 099.1).

Or what else changed on Sep 16?

The PC which I'm running CLAMWIN is an old WIN XP one. But this shouldn't harm the database updates

Regards SR_CLAMWIN
GuitarBob

Clam AV had some download problems back in late August, but they were fixed within a couple of days, and I haven't heard of any ClamWin users with problems due to this. There should not be any compabibility problems between ClamWin and Clam AV. The ClamWin developers are good about not porting any Clam AV functions/detections to Windows that would cause such problems. ClamWin uses just the basic Clam AV detections.

So perhaps the problem on Sept. 16 happened due to something on your machine. I suggest you uninstall ClamWin and then reinstall it as an administrator and see if that fixes things. You might want to copy the ClamWin DB folder items somewhere before the uninstall in case you have trouble with the database after installation--you can copy them back to the ClamWin DB folder if you do.

Clam AV has about 1,000 new signature detections each day--more or less.

If things still are not working the way they should, I suggest that you get a free copy of Malwarebytes Antirootkit Beta from their website and do a scan with it just in case you have some malware around. It will scan for rootkits and also perform a scan with Malwarebytes Portable.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
SR_CLAMWIN

Thank You GuitarBob,
I will tell any efforts and the results.

SR_CLAMWIN

--
Delenn: "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift,
politeness requires that we at least try and solve it."
[Atonement]
SR_CLAMWIN

SR_CLAMWIN wrote:
Thank You GuitarBob,
I will tell any efforts and the results.

First results:

1. Did not uninstall/reinstall CLAMWIN
2. But did install Malwarebytes AntiRootkit - with last updates
Any Malware was found!

Tried now a new CLAMWIN update.
Here's the report:

ClamAV update process started at Tue Sep 26 04:22:05 2017
WARNING: DNS record is older than 3 hours.
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): OK
main.cld is up to date (version: 58, sigs: 4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Reading CVD header (daily.cvd): OK
daily.cld is up to date (version: 23840, sigs: 1743038, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Reading CVD header (bytecode.cvd): OK
bytecode.cld is up to date (version: 312, sigs: 74, f-level: 63, builder: neo)

--------------------------------------
Completed

==> Isn' t daily cls ver. 23840 oldish?

Any ideas, suggestions?

SR_CLAMWIN

--
[Atonement]
SR_CLAMWIN

To verify

Is this a recent (up-to-date) Update report?

ClamAV update process started at Sat Sep 30 03:24:57 2017
WARNING: DNS record is older than 3 hours.
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): nonblock_connect: connect timing out (30 secs)
Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (IP: 78.46.184.220)
OK (IMS)
main.cld is up to date (version: 58, sigs: 4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Reading CVD header (daily.cvd): OK
daily.cld updated (version: 23886, sigs: 1743347, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Reading CVD header (bytecode.cvd): OK (IMS)
bytecode.cld is up to date (version: 313, sigs: 73, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Database updated (6309669 signatures) from database.clamav.net (IP: 62.27.56.14)

Completed

Anybody?

SR_CLAMWIN
GuitarBob

My ClamWin now has a daily DB number 23886, so yours was probably up-to-date when you received it. I see yu now have 23886, so you are up-to-date. Clam AV's update process is sometimes not too smooth. I just leave it alone, let it do what it does, and don't worry about it. This works pretty well if you use ClamWin alongside a real-time AV and keep ClamWin as a backup scanner. Clam AV does not have near enough signatures--approx. 1,000 per day, and there are more than 300,000 new viruses each day. See why you need a real-time AV also?

Regards,
SR_CLAMWIN

GuitarBob wrote:
My ClamWin now has a daily DB number 23886, so yours was probably up-to-date when you received it. I see yu now have 23886, so you are up-to-date. Clam AV's update process is sometimes not too smooth. I just leave it alone, let it do what it does, and don't worry about it. This works pretty well if you use ClamWin alongside a real-time AV and keep ClamWin as a backup scanner. Clam AV does not have near enough signatures--approx. 1,000 per day, and there are more than 300,000 new viruses each day. See why you need a real-time AV also?
Regards,

From my last update report:
"...
daily.cld updated (version: 23891, ...
Database updated (6309677 signatures) ..."

I'll monitor the updates, but for now it seems all OK.

Your proposal for another real-time AV program is theoretically a good advice.
The fact is: the broad AV programs don't support any longer my oldish CPU.

But don't panic: this isn't my "daily-work" PC. :-)

SR_CLAMWIN

--
[Atonement]
GuitarBob

There are some old versions of AVs that still might work for you. Try an old Avast version if you can get one. Another possibility is Clam Sentinel, which was written in 2012 as a resident front-end for ClamWin. It is no longer in development and was written for Win 98 but will run on just about any version of Windows, except Windows 10 (some MS "improvements" recently killed it for Win 10). It is "always on" but doesn't have much file control--it's good for downloaded file verification. It will not protect from the current script viruses, however. It performs a scan with its own heuristics and then scans with ClamWin's signatures. It is available at http://clamsentinel.sourceforge.net/ on the web. It requires a bit of user "babysitting" for false positives on dll files but might be what you need.

Regards,
SR_CLAMWIN

GuitarBob wrote:
... old Avast ... Clam Sentinel ...

GuitarBob thank You very much!
I'll try one or the other to go along with Clamwin/ClamAV.

Regards
SR_CLAMWIN

--
Monty Phyton: "Always look on the bright side of life"
Raul

GuitarBob wrote:
Clam AV had some download problems back in late August, but they were fixed within a couple of days, and I haven't heard of any ClamWin users with problems due to this. There should not be any compabibility problems between ClamWin and Clam AV. The ClamWin developers are good about not porting any Clam AV functions/detections to Windows that would cause such problems. ClamWin uses just the basic Clam AV detections.

So perhaps the problem on Sept. 16 happened due to something on your machine. I suggest you uninstall ClamWin and then reinstall it as an administrator and see if that fixes things. You might want to copy the ClamWin DB folder items somewhere before the uninstall in case you have trouble with the database after installation--you can copy them back to the ClamWin DB folder if you do.

Clam AV has about 1,000 new signature detections each day--more or less.

If things still are not working the way they should, I suggest that you get a free copy of Malwarebytes Antirootkit Beta from their website and do a scan with it just in case you have some malware around. It will scan for rootkits and also perform a scan with Malwarebytes Portable.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Hello. I have the same problem. I can't update the clamwin virus database.?
It appears on my two computers. I use clamwin with ClamSentinel as second antivirus. My first antivirus is Ad-Aware.
I try also do disable Ad-aware and the problem appear some.

I attach a photograph

Thanks!

https://postimg.org/image/20qbcu3e7v/
GuitarBob

How long have you had this problem, Raul? Did it start suddenly? If so, did you make a change to your computer software or hardware that might have caused the problem. See if automatic signature updates work? If they do, I would not worry about this--sometimes the Clam AV mirrors that perform the updates do not work well, and I see this a lot.

Regards,
No virus data updates since Sep 16