ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Close on-demand scan automatically
palswim


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Reply with quote
Do I have an option anywhere to close ClamWin automatically if I initiate a scan via the context menu (Right-click -> "Scan with ClamWin...") provided it finds no problems?

I am running on Windows (7, Server 2008, XP) and this issue has been bugging me for quite a long time.
View user's profileSend private message
Re: Close on-demand scan automatically
palswim


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Reply with quote
palswim wrote:
... and this issue has been bugging me for quite a long time.

It's been http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=1811 bugging me for over two years, in fact.


Last edited by palswim on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profileSend private message
GuitarBob


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 4362
Location: USA
Reply with quote
I have never found that capability, and I've been using ClamWin since July, 2006. I can't do it with Malwarebytes either.

Regards,
View user's profileSend private message
weirddemon


Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Reply with quote
I always use the command line utility.
View user's profileSend private message
palswim


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Reply with quote
weirddemon wrote:
I always use the command line utility.

Nice.

I'm experimenting with:
Code:
ClamWin.exe --mode=scanner  --path="%1" --close

in my [HKCR\*\shell\] and [HKCR\Folder\shell\] registry paths. I've tried adding a log file, but "--log" doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

But, with this, I can safely assume that ClamWin will not automatically close if it finds a problem? I haven't found any good documentation for all of the parameters that ClamWin will take. (A ClamWin dev seems to indicate that http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=942 we're not supposed to know.)

But, devs, if you see this, I wouldn't use the command-line option if ClamWin just gave me the option to do this by configuration of some sort.
View user's profileSend private message
GuitarBob


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 4362
Location: USA
Reply with quote
You might want to pull up ClamWin Help, look at the Manual, Advanced Operations and see if that will help.

Regards,
View user's profileSend private message
weirddemon


Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Reply with quote
palswim wrote:
weirddemon wrote:
I always use the command line utility.

Nice.

I'm experimenting with:
Code:
ClamWin.exe --mode=scanner  --path="%1" --close

in my [HKCR\*\shell\] and [HKCR\Folder\shell\] registry paths. I've tried adding a log file, but "--log" doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

But, with this, I can safely assume that ClamWin will not automatically close if it finds a problem? I haven't found any good documentation for all of the parameters that ClamWin will take. (A ClamWin dev seems to indicate that http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=942 we're not supposed to know.)

But, devs, if you see this, I wouldn't use the command-line option if ClamWin just gave me the option to do this by configuration of some sort.


The following is what I use to do complete scans. As far as I'm aware, if there's any infections, it just removes them and moves on. No when you say, "issues", what do you mean exactly? Files that couldn't be scanned? Or something else?

Code:
--database="C:\Users\Ernest\AppData\Local\AVERT\ClamWin\db" -v --memory --detect-pua --include-pua=CAT --scan-mail --detect-structured --phishing-sigs --algorithmic-detection --scan-pe --scan-elf --scan-ole2 --scan-pdf --scan-html  --remove --scan-archive --detect-broken --block-encrypted --no-summary -r "C:" --log"C:\Users\Ernest\AppData\Local\AVERT\ClamWin\scan.log"
View user's profileSend private message
palswim


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Reply with quote
weirddemon wrote:
palswim wrote:

But, with this, I can safely assume that ClamWin will not automatically close if it finds a problem?

when you say, "issues", what do you mean exactly? Files that couldn't be scanned? Or something else?


I mean any issues: files that couldn't be scanned, virus found, error opening virus database, etc.

I would only want ClamWin to close automatically if it scanned all files successfully without encountering a virus (i.e. "return 0").
View user's profileSend private message
Lee Juses11


Joined: 29 Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
Hello everyone!
I am new in this site and your topics here very interesting,
Hope I can join in your discussions here,
Godspeed!http://howtodealwithdepression.org/ how to deal with depression
View user's profileSend private message
Bahnyen


Joined: 17 Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Reply with quote
This thread is very interesting, because I'm and many people just only run command, whatever by command line or menu, but we wait until its completed and than terminate it manually. But you question is asking for the way to set it as auto terminated after completed job, which is very good. I don't know how to set it, but I do hope that the programming design for ClamWin will see this thread and develop more if there is no such a function or give us an answer.
View user's profileSend private message
palswim


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Reply with quote
palswim wrote:
I'm experimenting with:
Code:
ClamWin.exe --mode=scanner  --path="%1" --close

in my [HKCR\*\shell\] and [HKCR\Folder\shell\] registry paths. I've tried adding a log file, but "--log" doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

But, with this, I can safely assume that ClamWin will not automatically close if it finds a problem?

As a follow-up to this, I have altered my registry and am using a shell handler instead of the ClamWin DLL handler. This indeed closes if ClamWin does not detect anything in the scan, but remains open if the scan does detect malware.

The only drawback with this method is that Windows will give me a Security Warning if I attempt to run the scan on a file that it doesn't trust. Because of this, I would still prefer if the normal ClamWin context menu scan gave me the option to close automatically.

The following registry script will remove the ClamWin ShellEx handler and add the custom ClamWin shell handler. You may need to tweak it (the first few lines), depending on where you installed ClamWin.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ClamWin.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ClamWin\\bin\\ClamWin.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ClamWin\\bin\\"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ClamWin]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\ClamWin]
@="Scan with ClamWin"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\ClamWin\command]
@="ClamWin.exe --mode=scanner --path=\"%1\" --close"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ClamWin]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\ClamWin]
@="Scan with ClamWin"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\ClamWin\command]
@="ClamWin.exe --mode=scanner --path=\"%1\" --close"
View user's profileSend private message
ROCKNROLLKID


Joined: 23 Sep 2013
Posts: 562
Location: **UNKNOWN**
Reply with quote
Although, I don't have a use for it, but by the looks of it, it looks good. As for your suggest, I doubt it will happen, but I will talk to Alch when beta testing comes around.

We are planning on making some improvements to Sentinel's heuristic engine and adding a real-time protection and we are hoping that we can combine it with ClamWin when 1.0 comes out. Keep an eye in the future for some possible major improvements to ClamWin.

.99 looks like a good version, too, with lots of improvements to detection ratios.
View user's profileSend private message
GuitarBob


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 4362
Location: USA
Reply with quote
Guys:

What is needed is a script that scans memory, registry, %appdata%, system 32 and system 64 WOW folders. These are the most common places used by malware.

Regards,
View user's profileSend private message
Close on-demand scan automatically
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Reply to topic