ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Daily cvd Question
shagger1

Howdy
I asked this question before but still am not clear on what it does.I am using clamwin
portable,If I update it downloads the difference (many times) which is normal but what
does it do-lets say I manualy download the daily.cvd and delete the old one is that good
or should I let it download the difference which makes the daily.cvd much larger(I am not
worried about disc space) but by manualy downloading each day am I fully up to date?
There must be a reson it downloads the difference-still confused.

Rod
GuitarBob

Downloading the signature updates manually is fine. In fact, I don't think you can do any automatic updates in ClamWin Portable. The reason the automatic update results in a larger signature file is that the signature database is not compacted during an automatic update, while it is compacted during a manual update. You can get the desktop version of ClamWin to compact by putting this configuraton at the end of the update section of the ClamWin.conf file: "CompressLocalDatabase = yes" (no quotes--they are just mine here).

You will lose this configuration, however, with the next version of ClamWin because the developers have not put this configuration in their ClamWin.conf file--I don't know why. It has been well over a year since this was first noticed. See the thread at http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=3351&highlight=compact on the ClamWin forums.

I do not think you can do much configuration with ClamWin Portable.

Regards,
shagger1

Bob
I can do updating in the portable version just wanted to know if downloading
the daily is better than using the updater(which works fine in portable)

What do you mean by I will lose my configuration in the next version?
That is only the non portable yes?

Clamwin portable works fine! So there <grin>

You Da Man!
Rod
GuitarBob

Either way of updating--automatic or manual is fine. I don't use the portable version much--didn't recall that it had an automatic update. It doesn't seem to come with all the configuration that you can do with the regular ClamWin version.

If you make that configuration change I mentioned, when you install a new version of ClamWin, the configuration file that comes in the installation will not have your configuration change. I have to re-insert it with each new version.

Regards,
shagger1

Thanks a lot Bob
the portable verion(the next one) I am sure the folks at portable apps will figure it
out-Like I said I dont care about space-if I use the update and it gets too large I
just delete the daily,download the latest and start over,I have done this before.

Have a nice weekend Bob

Rod
Daily cvd Question