ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Updating on a domain
idkfa

Hi all, I really like the look of Clamwin but cannot get it to update. I will be using it on Win98 PCs on a domain with Internet access via a proxy. I have tried various settings within IE and Clamwin thinking a certain combination of proxy setting may work but I cannot get clamwin to update. The error I get is pasted below:

-----
ClamAV update process started at Wed Feb 22 15:16:52 2012
WARNING: DNS Resolver: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Connecting via 192.9.200.252
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): nonblock_recv: recv timing out (30 secs)
WARNING: remote_cvdhead: Error while reading CVD header from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from database.clamav.net (IP: 192.9.200.252)
Trying again in 5 secs...
-----

I am fairly new to servers but am pretty sure this is just a firewall update needed to let it through? I can get to database.clamav.net on the offending PC via IE. If it is a firewall update what details will I need to do this?

Any help greatly appreciated
GuitarBob

Make sure to configure ClamWin to update in the Internet updates tab, and fill out the information on the Proxy tab. Also allow freshclam.exe in your firewall.

Regards,
idkfa

Hi GB, Clamwin is set to use Internet to update and has proxy config entered. We use an ISA server for Internet access, is it just a case of adding a firewall rule to allow access to database.clamav.net? Is it just HTTP(S) traffic?
GuitarBob

I'm not familiar with ISA servers, but see if it helps to give ClamWin freshclam.exe access to the web through your firewall. I belive the traffic is https. I've seen ClamWin update when a virus has killed everything else.

Regards,
idkfa

Can't seem to get Clamwin to update this way so am now just trying a manual update. I have put daily.cvd and main.cvd on a file share giving all users full access. I have changed the preferences to not use a proxy and to look for updates at \\bff_srv1\Clamwin which is where the files are. The problem is its still not updating. This is the error I get:

ClamAV update process started at Tue Feb 28 08:51:56 2012

Reading CVD header (main.cvd): WARNING: Can't get information about \\bff_srv1.bff.local\Clamwin\: No address associated with hostname

WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from \\bff_srv1.bff.local\Clamwin\ (IP: )

ClamAV update process started at Tue Feb 28 08:52:31 2012

Reading CVD header (main.cvd): WARNING: Can't get information about \\bff_srv1.bff.local\Clamwin\: No address associated with hostname

WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from \\bff_srv1.bff.local\Clamwin\ (IP: )

--------------------------------------
Cancelled
--------------------------------------

There are temp files being created in this directory when I try and update but it won't complete. The firewall has been turned off. Am I missing something? Can this be fixed with a hosts file update?
PuntaCanaShop

I had some nasty virus (Sality) that corrupted all my .exe files in backup , as well as some of installations from C/Program Files. I manage to clean it with portable Dr.Web Cure IT but it doesn't have real-time protection. Thinking to install ClamWin but this is second tread where I see that it have problems with update. I hope it is not some general problem ?
GuitarBob

There is no general problem with updating ClamWin. The updates come from ClamAV which has lots of mirror sites. Sometimes after a new update, the mirrors will all have to be synchronized before you can update. I have seen that other problems are caused by user configuration (DNS, firewall, etc.). Just set updates to automatic and do a manual one now and then to make sure they are working.

Regards,
Updating on a domain