ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Clamwin Can't Update Dbase(0.97.2)..
Irbaquino

ClamAV update process started at Sun Oct 02 15:29:54 2011
WARNING: DNS Resolver: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): ERROR: Can't create new socket
WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from database.clamav.net (IP: )
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Sun Oct 02 15:29:59 2011
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Sun Oct 02 15:30:04 2011
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in c:\users\bri\appdata\local\temp\tmpidwmgq is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/support/mirror-problem for possible reasons.

--Is there anyone who can help me how to resolve this issue?--- Thank so much Guys!
GuitarBob

Try a couple of more manual updates over a period of a half hour or so--sometimes this fixes things. Then, do you need to allow ClamWin to update in your firewall/router? If that is okay, then make sure you have configured ClamWin's Internet Updates tab to allow automatic virus database updates and that the day/time are what you want and that the download site is database.clamav.net. If that is okay, you might try deleting all the files in the ClamWin database directory and then do a manual update. If that doesn't help then uninstall ClamWin and then install it again.

I hope this helps. Let us know if it does not.

Regards,
Irbaquino

i uninstall and deleted the Dbase folder and allow it also in firewall. But still i'm still having the same error message.. Is there anymore remedy that i can do to work this out?
GuitarBob

So you have tried everything I suggested without any results? Are you using a proxy to connect to the internet? If you are, then there is a proxy configuration tab where you need to insert your proxy information.

If that does not apply to you, what version of Windows are you using ClamWin with? Do you have trouble updating any other programs besides ClamWin? Can you update ClamWin manually? Have you made any changes to your system recently that might affect internet access, such as a new router or a new firewall? Are you using another antivirus program with ClamWin? Have you had any virus infections recently?

Regards,
oppi

Hello,
I have a similar problem with the database-update of clamwin on a win98 machine. When I try to update the clamwin database the update process stucks after the message " update startet at... ". When I start freshclam via a batch file with the command

freshclam --datadir="C:\Windows\All Users\.clamwin\db" --config-file="C:\Programme\ClamWin\bin\freshclam.conf" --no-dns --log=clamupd.log

it works fine. The aditional parameter --no-dns seems to be the solution for the update problem. DNS is checked with DNSCHECKER.EXE and works.

Unfortunately I am not able to tell clamwin to pass this parameter to feshclam. If I add this parameter in clamwin.conf ( the right one ) in the section [CLAMAV] parameter freshclamparams the main-window of the update-process immediately reports the update completed and a popup reports an unspecified error. I have tried several possibilities like --no-dns, -no-dns, no-dns. It seems that clamwin doesnīt accept any parameters at all there. Nearly the same happens when I try to pass additional parameters to clamscan ( like another temp directory ) with the use of the parameter clamscanparams ( the scan works but the parameter is not recogniced.

Additional Info about the freshclam.conf file:

Code:
# URL of server where database updates are to be downloaded from
# If this option is given multiple times, each will be tried in
# the order given until an update is successfully downloaded

DatabaseMirror database.clamav.net

# Number of times to try each mirror before moving to the next one

MaxAttempts 3

Has anybody an idea to get this working !

Thanks, oppi
alch
Site Admin

oppi wrote:
Hello,
I have a similar problem with the database-update of clamwin on a win98 machine. When I try to update the clamwin database the update process stucks after the message " update startet at... ". When I start freshclam via a batch file with the command

freshclam --datadir="C:\Windows\All Users\.clamwin\db" --config-file="C:\Programme\ClamWin\bin\freshclam.conf" --no-dns --log=clamupd.log

it works fine. The aditional parameter --no-dns seems to be the solution for the update problem. DNS is checked with DNSCHECKER.EXE and works.

Unfortunately I am not able to tell clamwin to pass this parameter to feshclam.

Add the following line

freshclamparams = --no-dns

to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\.clamwin\clamwin.conf

(freshclamparams key is passed to freshclam.exe command line)
oppi

@alch

perhaps You didnīt read my whole post or You didnīt understand the problem.

I have already added the line as You described in Your post, but it doesnīt work!

With the modification of clamwin.conf the immediate result looks like this
[img]
http://postimage.org/image/1cwk5xl7o/
[/img]

and there is no attempt to acces the internet by freshclam ( as protocoled by the firewall ).

Your solution doesnīt work and there seems to be a bug in the parameter passing from clamwin to freshclam. Remember: the update works if freshclam is invoked by a batchfile with the parameter --no-dns. Unfortunately there is no way to check which parameters are passed to freshclam if invoked by clamwin ( like for clamscan.exe in the temp-file CLAMWIN?.LOG ) and the log-file of the update process only reports a started update, nothing else.

Maybe the entry for the freschclamparams is in a wrong section of the clamwin.conf. Currently it is in the section [ClamAV] as provided by the installation.
alch
Site Admin

you are right,
freshclamparams is not added to the command line but written to the freshclam.conf file before calling freshclam.

You can use an undocumented freshclam feature and set:
freshclamparams = no-dns yes

However this should be used sparingly as it puts additional load on clamav mirrors, see here:
https://bugzilla.clamav.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1925
oppi

@alch

Thank You for the quick response!

I changed the value of the freshclamparams entry in the clamwin.conf from "--no-dns" to "no-dns yes" and the update works. It seems that clamwin uses a temporary configuration file for freshclam which is not called freshclam.conf, because there is only one file called freshclam.conf on my harddisk, even if the update is running or stucking ( freshclam is started by clamwin and still running ).

We have found a workaround to get my comuter updated, but no good solution for all others, whose update process stucks on WIN98 machines. The real reason for this behavior might be a problem of WIN98 and the DNS resolving.

Thanks a lot

Oppi

P.S. I have found an entry "freshclam.conf" in a file ClamWin?.log in the temporary directory. Is this file used to pass the parameters to freshclam?
hashin

I think you should try a few more updates manually to see whether the issue persists. You can do this on an hourly basis, by the way. Also, please make sure that your firewall is not blocking Clam Win as it is very likely this issue could have occurred due to that.Its always good to use emergency data recovery softwares, to fight the unexpected happenings, there are many top companies like http://www.datanumen.com/aer datanumen,data recovery etc

Last edited by hashin on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
hashin

I think freshclamparams is written in the freshclam.conf file although it is not being added to the command line. By the way, going for this method needs to be done gradually and bit by bit. For there is every chance for the clamav mirrors to get overloaded as stated by alch.
Clamwin Can't Update Dbase(0.97.2)..