ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Get Program Updates without using the Program interface
joetronics

Is there a way to download Updates for the Program without having to do it thru the
running program itself?? Rolling Eyes
GuitarBob

Check the ClamWin manual. Open ClamWin, Help, Help, Manual. The section "Updating the Virus Database from the Command Line" might apply to you. You'll need some knowledge of scripts.

Regards,
joetronics

No, I am not talking about definition updates, I am talking about PROGRAM Updates.
Like going from Version 0.97.2 to Ver 0.97.3 - there always have been version
updates that you get goihg thru the Program when it is running.
Can you or how do you get these Version updates by just downloading them manually???
Then, you can just install them over the current version - I have done that in the past
on several systems I have ClamWin Running on - without having to go thru the Program
to go online to get them....
GuitarBob

If you have done it in the past, then just do the same thing you did then to get the updates.

Regards,
joetronics

Geez, I had said I did not want to do it the way they sorta MAKE you do it - unless their IT people are idiots and fail to put the link that is available on their server in plain sight for everyone to use. That link I am talking about is the one you get when going thru the program - which is:
http://www.clamwin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&version=0.97.2&source=sf
That link sends anyone to sourceforge to get the update download - which you cannot find on sourceforge either even witn a search - so, I am guessing these people own sourceforge and can do whatever they want with it.
This whole thing is just a bit wild to me - WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO KEEP AN UPDATE A BIG DARK SECRET FROM EVERYONE UNLESS YOU HAVE THEIR PROGRAM INSTALLED AND ARE USING IT???? MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME AT ALL....... Unless they think they are smart and the rest of the world is stupid - which I guess I have a tendency to agree with the way stuff comes down the pike in this crazy day and age........
GuitarBob

Well, I guess ClamWin has to work with SourceForge. Here is a link to another page with all versions of ClamWin: http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/files/clamwin/ on the web. Hope it helps!

Regards,
joetronics

Yeah, I saw that page yesterday - it's available - but it has NONE of the UPDATE Version Programs - just the BASIC Program Versions.......

I sure with someone at ClamWin would read this and acknowledge how idiotic their actions regarding this are....

Maybe they are too busy worrying about battery life on their iPhones....
alch
Site Admin

joetronics wrote:
Yeah, I saw that page yesterday - it's available - but it has NONE of the UPDATE Version Programs - just the BASIC Program Versions.......

I sure with someone at ClamWin would read this and acknowledge how idiotic their actions regarding this are....

Maybe they are too busy worrying about battery life on their iPhones....

If you really looked at http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/files/clamwin/ page then you would have found that it has folders with version numbers. And every folder has three types of files, the usage of them is kind of obvious from the naming convention:
clamwin-XX.XX.XX-setup.exe - main setup file with the virus database files included
clamwin-XX.XX.XX-setup-nodb.exe - main setup file without the virus database files
clamwin-update-XX.XX.XX-YY.YY.YY.exe - an incremental update from version XX.XX.XX to YY.YY.YY

We have no reason to make life more difficult for both users and developers by hiding open source software.
joetronics

Ok, thank you - I had seen that page but neglected to click on a file - did not know it was a folder with more files in it,
the box on the right just gives you download statistics - which is what I had clicked on....
So it's kinda misleading..

And, why do you not have these files on the ClamWin Website??? Seems it's another step one has to go thru to get updates, and SourceForge is pretty slow a lot of times - so, this in my opinion does not become a win-win situation......

When these guys get through playing around and provide real time virus detection - then it will become an exciting program, because it is the only one that works on Windows 98 - none of the other Virus Companies go back that far, and they are losing money in my estimation - if it won't work on an OS - why buy it....... considering that current OS's have great real-time free Anti-Virus programs that work just fine - Security Essentials is what I am using in my XP OS....
And, it is just as good as any other Program you would pay for - even beats Norton in my opinion....
alch
Site Admin

joetronics wrote:

And, why do you not have these files on the ClamWin Website??? Seems it's another step one has to go thru to get updates, and SourceForge is pretty slow a lot of times - so, this in my opinion does not become a win-win situation......

The download volumes for clamwin are in terabytes per month and we use sourceforge because it is free. Should we decide to host downloads on our own server then it would simply cost too much to sustain.
joetronics

Ok, that explains that. Free is good!!! Thanks....
Get Program Updates without using the Program interface