ClamWin Free Antivirus Forum Index
ClamWin Free Antivirus
Support and Discussion Forums
Reply to topic
Multiple folder selection works incorrectly
basie

Version 0.97 says to use the Shift key to select multiple folders to scan. This feature works incorrectly. On my system, ClamWin displays five drives--A:, C:, D:, F:, and G:. I want to select C: and G:. If I click C:, hold down Shift, and click G:, then D:, F:, and G: are highlighted. If I click G:, hold down Shift, and click C:, then C:, D:, and F: are highlighted.

Actually, the conventional way to select C: and G: should be to click one and Ctrl+click, not Shift+click, the other.

Please comment.
Re: Multiple folder selection works incorrectly
alch
Site Admin

basie wrote:
Version 0.97 says to use the Shift key to select multiple folders to scan. This feature works incorrectly. On my system, ClamWin displays five drives--A:, C:, D:, F:, and G:. I want to select C: and G:. If I click C:, hold down Shift, and click G:, then D:, F:, and G: are highlighted. If I click G:, hold down Shift, and click C:, then C:, D:, and F: are highlighted.

Actually, the conventional way to select C: and G: should be to click one and Ctrl+click, not Shift+click, the other.

Please comment.

it works as expected with Ctrl-click until you use Shift key. This is a quirk of wxWidgets control
basie

Are you saying that Ctrl+click allows me to select multiple drives? If I click one drive to select it and then Ctrl+click a second drive, only the second drive is selected.

Neither Ctrl+shift nor Ctrl+click seems to allow me to select multiple drives that aren't consecutive in the drive list--for example, C: and G: in my initial posting. Please tell me how to do that.
Re: Multiple folder selection works incorrectly
russellj

I want to select ALL drives, and am experiencing a similar problem.

Although it's not what "basie" wants to do, what SHOULD happen when he does "click C:, hold down Shift, and click G:" is that C:, D:, F:, and G: are highlighted.
Instead, ONLY D:, F:, and G: are highlighted.

Similarly (using his drive letters to simplify):

• If I "click A:, hold down Shift, and click G:"
  • Then ALL of the drives -- A:, C:, D:, F:, and G: -- should be highlighted.

Instead, only C: through G: are highlighted.

(I'm using ClamWin Portable 0.97.8, as part of PortableApps [http://portableapps.com/apps/security/clamwin_portable].)

basie wrote:
...On my system, ClamWin displays five drives--A:, C:, D:, F:, and G:. I want to select C: and G:. If I click C:, hold down Shift, and click G:, then D:, F:, and G: are highlighted. If I click G:, hold down Shift, and click C:, then C:, D:, and F: are highlighted....
GuitarBob

I don't care what I use, it has never worked for me! I've always had to select one folder, scan, and do another. It would be nice to be able to set up a permanent custom scan! I think somewhere around version .95 or so, we got away from some Windows capabilities then.

Regards,
How can I submit bug report (WAS Re: Multiple folder ...)
russellj

How can I submit a bug report on this?

Thank you.

russellj wrote:
I want to select ALL drives, and am experiencing a similar problem.

Although it's not what "basie" wants to do, what SHOULD happen when he does "click C:, hold down Shift, and click G:" is that C:, D:, F:, and G: are highlighted.
Instead, ONLY D:, F:, and G: are highlighted.

Similarly (using his drive letters to simplify):

• If I "click A:, hold down Shift, and click G:"
  • Then ALL of the drives -- A:, C:, D:, F:, and G: -- should be highlighted.

Instead, only C: through G: are highlighted.

(I'm using ClamWin Portable 0.97.8, as part of PortableApps [http://portableapps.com/apps/security/clamwin_portable].)

basie wrote:
...On my system, ClamWin displays five drives--A:, C:, D:, F:, and G:. I want to select C: and G:. If I click C:, hold down Shift, and click G:, then D:, F:, and G: are highlighted. If I click G:, hold down Shift, and click C:, then C:, D:, and F: are highlighted....
GuitarBob

I have looked at the bug reporting procedure suggested by developer Alch, and it did not work for me. Let me suggest that you contact the ClamWin developers via the Contact Us link from the ClamWin main page on the web. It is hard to contact them, and I really think they need more user input!

Regards,
russellj

Thanks for the suggestion.
I used the Contact form yesterday afternoon, and haven't yet heard back.

Could you point me to "the bug reporting procedure suggested by developer Alch"?
If it doesn't work for me either, maybe I could try mentioning that on the Contact form.

Thanks.

GuitarBob wrote:
I have looked at the bug reporting procedure suggested by developer Alch, and it did not work for me. Let me suggest that you contact the ClamWin developers via the Contact Us link from the ClamWin main page on the web. It is hard to contact them, and I really think they need more user input!

Regards,
GuitarBob

Developer Alch is currently on holiday and will return after October 17. Here is the page re: feature requests, which I assume is the same thing as bug notices, since bugzilla is mentioned: http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=51 on the ClamWin forums. Developer Sherpya also monitors the forums.

Regards,
russellj

Thanks, Bob.

That worked.

I submitted bug Ticket #420 Multiple drive selection works incorrectly, at https://sourceforge.net/p/clamwin/bugs/420/.

Thank you.

- Russell

GuitarBob wrote:
Developer Alch is currently on holiday and will return after October 17. Here is the page re: feature requests, which I assume is the same thing as bug notices, since bugzilla is mentioned: http://forums.clamwin.com/viewtopic.php?t=51 on the ClamWin forums. Developer Sherpya also monitors the forums.

Regards,
GuitarBob

Good! I never could figure out how to open a ticket. One thing, however: I do not believe the ClamWin developers will address ClamWin Portable problems since that is actually a different project. However, this is also a problem on ClamWin proper. I do see that most of the current tickets are still open.

Regards,
russellj

I couldn't figure out how to do so for a while either.

Then, I tried logging in to SourceForge, and that added a <Create> button which worked fine.

Thanks.

- Russell

GuitarBob wrote:
Good! I never could figure out how to open a ticket. One thing, however: I do not believe the ClamWin developers will address ClamWin Portable problems since that is actually a different project. However, this is also a problem on ClamWin proper. I do see that most of the current tickets are still open.

Regards,
GuitarBob

Thanks, Russell. I'll try that the next time I run across something. I have a pipeline to the two ClamWin developers, but I try not to wear out my welcome. They're usually busy making a living and can only work on ClamWin now and then. I have some time on my hands but am not a coder, so I try to help on the forum.

Alch has said he intends to re-do the ClamWin GUI late this year, so perhaps he can work some other items in as well.

Regards,
russellj

Bob,

You're welcome.

My thanks to you, the developers, and others who make ClamWin available. I appreciate it.

- Russell

GuitarBob wrote:
Thanks, Russell. I'll try that the next time I run across something. I have a pipeline to the two ClamWin developers, but I try not to wear out my welcome. They're usually busy making a living and can only work on ClamWin now and then. I have some time on my hands but am not a coder, so I try to help on the forum.

Alch has said he intends to re-do the ClamWin GUI late this year, so perhaps he can work some other items in as well.

Regards,
Multiple folder selection works incorrectly